Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro updater failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Ever since I got the Adobe Design Suite last year, whenever I open acrobat, the updater tries to run, and every time, it fails to update, giving me the following message:

Adobe Updater

Cannot overwrite file /Users/username/documents/updater5/adobeupdater/acrobat8pro-en_US/AUMProduct.dmg. The file may be locked or you may not have sufficient access rights. Please make sure you have write access to this file.

So I went to the folder where it says this file is. There was no such file, even though I had "see invisible files" turned on (using pathfinder). But I decided to give write permission to all the contents of that folder anyway. Still no go. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Thanks!

Reaction score
riverteeth,

There is a nice thread on the adobe forum which I posted below.

In short, download and install the upgrade to 8.1.0

Adobe - Acrobat : For Macintosh : Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional update - English, French, German, and Japanese

And then, download and install the upgrade to 8.1.1

Adobe - Acrobat : For Macintosh : Adobe Acrobat 8.1.1 Professional - multiple languages

When you complete both of those in succession, then use the "check for updates" function in Adobe Help...it should then be able to process the remaining updates.

Adobe Forums: Updater problems in 8.0.0

7. Feb 21, 2008 7:20 AM in response to: (Per_Lilleaas)
Re: Updater problems in 8.0.0
Ok, the Adobe web site isn't helpful but google found the 8.1 update here:

Adobe - Acrobat : For Macintosh : Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional update - English, French, German, and Japanese

I was able to install that update. I still couldn't install 8.1.2.

So another google found the 8.1.1 update:

Adobe - Acrobat : For Macintosh : Adobe Acrobat 8.1.1 Professional - multiple languages

Then, finally, I was able to install the 8.1.2 update.

Thank you Steve for the tip.

No thank you to Adobe for requiring a scavenger hunt to update the software I just bought from you.

Bruce

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.