DVD Screenshots not working in Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
How do I take a screenshot while viewing a DVD in Snow Leopard? I used to use the below terminal command in Leopard:
screencapture -i ~/Desktop/dvd.jpeg

All I get is a checkered picture when I try to screenshot. Even command/shift/3 (or 4) give me the checkered screen.

Am I missing something?

*Sorry if this has been posted here already, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Checkered Screen:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/mezz0italiano/dvd.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I was not aware there was ever a way to take a screenshot in Tiger or Leopard from DVD Player. Try VLC.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks bob.

I'll stick to DVD Player.
I do not like the way VLC works on my MacBook Pro - it takes about 4-5 seconds to pause and scanning forward/back is not nearly as clean as DVD-P.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you want a screen shot though, don't think you'll get one from DVD Player. Just from my old senile memory, seems as though I read that DVD Player will not allow it.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's what they said about Leopard. But you can take DVD screenshots with that terminal command I put in my first post. Try it. Enter the command, go back to DVD fullscreen mode, press the space bar and tap the track pad to take the photo.

I'm presuming that Snow Leopard is too new for people to know how to solve my problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'd presume that the above workaround was simply fixed (removed) in snow leopard. There are traditionally copyright issues with DVD screenshots, so many players simply won't allow it.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's why you couldn't command>shift>F3 while watching a DVD in Leopard. That terminal command was a backdoor around it.

Hopefully somebody will discover(?) a way to do it with Snow Leopard.

So far, I've noticed nothing worthy of upgrading to 10.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.