"kernel_task" rendering my computer useless.

Reaction score
Computer:
I have a few month old MacBook Pro, 13" 2.26 GHz, 4GB RAM (which I installed myself.), running Snow Leopard. My problem has been occurring before I installed Leopard.

Problem:
While doing NORMAL day to day task like browsing the web with Firefox (problem happens with safari, too), trying to rip DVDs using handbrake or even open my dashboard, my CPU spikes up to OVER 100% usage. "kernel_task" is KILLING ME. What should take 2 hours to rip a DVD is now taking over a day. Almost any type of load I try and put on the processor, it's inhibited by kernel_task's 80% CPU usage, it's uses more than the actual application i'm trying to run. Not only do I not have and CPU power to do ANYTHING with my computer, my temps are almost always running over 100F all around, as far out as my enclosure base. "kernel_task" does NO take an obsessive amount of memory.

I can't pinpoint where the problem is. Where it came from, or what has caused it. I've done plenty of research just using google, and havn't found any help. Everything ive found is directed towards a similar issue with the MBA or ancient.

Any help would be seriously appreciated, as my computer is basically useless without it. :( There's not much I can do on it without becoming super frustrated with it and wanting to smash it. Please let me know if there's any further information that would help trouble shoot my problem.

Thanks, Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How long ago did you install the ram?

Have you tried taking out the new ram...and putting the old ram back in (if you still have it)?

OP
F
Reaction score
No, I have not. The problem did not start when I installed RAM, it was sometime after that...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I have not. The problem did not start when I installed RAM, it was sometime after that...

Bad ram is usually a frequent cause of kernel panics...since you mentioned changing ram recently...seemed like a good place to start.

- Nick 2;)

OP
F
Reaction score
you're a nick too!? i work with FIVE nicks, awful isn't it.

well darn, i guess i'll start there.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you're a nick too!? i work with FIVE nicks, awful isn't it.

well darn, i guess i'll start there.....

The name "Nick" has gotten way too popular recently. I went thru 12 years of public school (many many different schools)...and 7 years of college...and never ran into another Nick.

Now "Nick's" are everywhere!!!;)

I'm changing my name to:

- Slick:)

p.s. Yes...try swapping back in your old ram...then do the same activities that were giving you troubles...and see if you can duplicate the problem.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ayye, that i'll do this evening. I actually also put in a 500gb harddrive. She was giving me some noise problems, and then eventually went away. Is it possible SOMEHOW, that the noise problems vanished, but turned and mutated into a CPU POWER sucking issue? HAHAH!

I went through public school, and then it was over. The summer after highschool, my job already had 2 nicks at it, and we hired 3 more (including me)

OP
F
Reaction score
Replaced stock ram back in computer. Did not make a difference. Was farting around today with some of the system prefs and noticed that some printer drivers were being started on start up, remembered problems from drivers can cause "kernel_panics." took them off the start up, restarted, went to youtube to try some videos and kernel_task was acting fine. Fired up Reason and farted around, kernel_task was fine. Replaced NEW ram, youtube test went great, Reason goes great, Photoshop go great.

PRINTER DRIVERS

of all things.....

have a great day. I hope i can help someone with this information.

OP
F
Reaction score
Turns out that WASN'T the fix. I dont know what it is.

I have now reinstalled OS X from a clean disk. I whipped all the information on the disk, formatted and reinstalled so now i'm 100% positive it's not a SOFTWARE issue. Its nothing I have installed, it's nothing i have downloaded, it's nothing i have put on this computer thats making kernel task act up. Its just how it is on this computer. Needless to say, i'm ****ing ****** about this and will be taking it to apple on Friday at 11 to get this figured out (id even be content with a new computer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I'm changing my name to:

- Slick

Does this mean 'Old Nick' now becomes 'Old Slick'?

Taking it back to Apple should have been move #1 whilst it is still a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.