Is it true that Mac OS X was hacked in under 20 seconds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It is true, however, it was done in a controlled environment...it was set up as a challenge to see who could hack it first. They gave them a server to take control of. There are many factors that can play a role in this hack, such things as their own server security is unknown. It also took 20-30 minutes to get into the computer, not 20 seconds. There is also speculation that it was setup by microsoft, who also downloaded windows backdoors to allow people to enter once they found it. I Highly doubt anyone has anything to really worry about!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes and no.

Yes, Mac OS X was "hacked" during a contest.... but only after the contest organizers removed any security measures and the "hackers" were given direct and local client access to the machine they were "hacking".

In other words, in a real world environment they would not have been successful and the answer would be "No".

Also, this took place 3 OS versions and as many years ago.
The exploits used by the "hackers" (which only worked when organizers purposely and deliberately crippled security features of the OS ahead of time) have long since been patched.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yes and no.

Yes, Mac OS X was "hacked" during a contest.... but only after the contest organizers removed any security measures and the "hackers" were given direct and local client access to the machine they were "hacking".

In other words, in a real world environment they would not have been successful and the answer would be "No".

Also, this took place 3 OS versions and as many years ago.
The exploits used by the "hackers" (which only worked when organizers purposely and deliberately crippled security features of the OS ahead of time) have long since been patched.

This is true! Why would they dumb down the security though? Would it be too tough? It didn't really make sense when I first read some time ago...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is not hard to guess what they were after these so-called 'contest organizers'. And they got all their free publicity too! From memory coincided with the release of Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is true! Why would they dumb down the security though?

What fun would it be, and how much press would it get, if the hackers got no where. If all else fails, rig the test for the press release.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The last hack contest I read about, the dood (Miller) had it all worked out before he ever attended the PWN2OWN contest. Here is a quote.

"I can't talk about the details of the vulnerability, but it was a Mac, fully patched, with Safari, fully patched," said Miller on Wednesday, not long after he had won the prize. "It probably took five or 10 seconds." He confirmed that he had researched and written the exploit before he arrived at the challenge."

In other words he worked with it for days, weeks even months then came and did it in the short time. He just did not walk in off the street and hack a mac in 10 seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Most exploits operate in similar time frames... once they're known about, and left unpatched or otherwise nullified by the administrator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.