Audio Midi problem and USB hubs?

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up my small home studio with my new macbook pro and am connecting the equipment I used to use on my old imac.

I'm connecting a Roland XV5050 synth to my mac via a MOTU micro express. But audio midi can't see the synth, only the micro express.

If I connect the xv-5050 direct to the mac, then audio midi can find it.
If I set the express to live keyboards (or similar) then I can drive the XV5050 from my keyboard without any trouble.

I'm baffled - any suggestions?

OS 10.5.8 on the mac
USB Midi OSX 1.4.23 downloaded for the express

Help....?:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
But if audio midi could see the micro express would the micro express actually be the XV5050 so wat would the problem be and ur saying it works when its plugged directly into the usb on the mac but not on the hub which is plugged into the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hubs are often just a pass through and because of this sap power from the device connected.
You really need a powered hub, but even then it may not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
It does work i have a powered hub and i have my midi keyboard and mixer pluged into it

OP
D
Reaction score
It does work i have a powered hub and i have my midi keyboard and mixer pluged into it

Oo that's encouraging. Is it a Micro Express you are using? And what driver did you install? Can you see the keyboard in audio midi just having it plugged into the hub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No im not using a micro express.I installed the drivers i got from the M-audio site. Also for the mixer they came on a disk with it. And yes i can see both of them in audio midi when plugged into the hub.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.