Imac appearing as two computers in finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24" Imac
Hi all,

Something that has been bugging me for quite a while...my imac shows up as imac and imac-1 in the finder of other macs. Im really confused as to why its doing so.

I initially thought that it could be because it was connected to the network via airport and ethernet, but turned airport off and still appearing as two. Its not a real problem but is quite irritating as makes it unclear which one represents what part of the mac.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You're not alone... my fiancee's emac is in there twice also. Actually... as I went to wake her computer up so I could take a screen shot... now she's only on there once. Usually it's the same computer name with a slightly different icon.

Anyway, I don't know what I did. The only thing I can think of is I saved her log in in my keychain, so maybe that resolved whatever was going on? I have no idea... I'm curious. Help us figure it out, dudes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Got it!

Screenshot2009-09-17at53154PM.png

Yea, it's definitely got something to do with printer sharing... the eMac is sharing its printer with this computer, and shows up twice.

Reaction score
Got it!

Screenshot2009-09-17at53154PM.png

Yea, it's definitely got something to do with printer sharing... the eMac is sharing its printer with this computer, and shows up twice.
I think it is because you have both "AFP" and "Samba" protocols enabled in the sharing preferences hence the mac is shown twice. Note the icon of the mac shared via "Samba" is a PC with a blue screen of death :) It's because samba is used mostly on windows.

If you want to share with only macs, you can use just AFP otherwise you also need "Samba" since windows doesn't know the AFP protocol.

Or .. you can use just samba.

leopardfilesharingoptions.png

tex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.