iPhoto toubles

D

damontgo

Hey, I'm new to the forums, and I've got a question about some trouble I'm having with iPhoto.

I got an external HD, and I moved my music Library and iPhoto library to that drive, thinking I could set my drive as the default location to load music/images from. Well along the way I didn't do something right, and I couldn't get iTunes or iPhoto to recognize my libraries. So I recopied all of my libraries back to my HD, and iTunes works fine again, byt whenever I try to open iPhoto, it crashes. The screen comes up, and the message with the "loading photos" comes up, then suddenly leaves, and I get an error message saying iPhoto has suddenly quit. I think it's trying to detect my Library from the wrong location, but I can't get into iPhoto to change those settings. What can I do?

iMac G4 800Mhz, running OSX 10.3.8 iPhoto 4 i think, because it was part of my default software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you installed any software or hardware since moving iphotos library? try deleting its preferences, they're here:
mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences> com.apple.iPhoto.plist(delete this file)
iphoto should open up fine now, see if it lets the photos finish loading, if not, try moving iphotos library out of pictures and into your hd main folder, then when iphoto opens, it wont try to open them, then click file>import and select that folder, it should recreate all the files and folders and you can delete the one in the hd, but back it up in case iphoto acts up.

OP
D

damontgo

Ok- did all of that, but when I click find Library, and click the iPhoto Library folder, it crashes again. What contents should be in the iPhoto Library folder??? I may have changed the directory around a little bit, so i don't know if that's why it's messing up? Should I just make a new folder, that only contains my picture files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
when you copied the library, did you copy all the folders: year>month>day? are you sure you clicked File>Import? ** many photos do you have?

OP
D

damontgo

Yes, it's by year -> month -> day. But in the top directory, there are some other folder along with the Year folders, one called albums, but some strange files as well, Dir.data iPhoto.db thumb32.data thumb64.data
thumbJPG.data Library.iPhoto and a few others.

I think I only have 200 or so pics, so would it be easier to just import them manually? I don't mind doing that, as long as iPhoto works correctly after that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.