Snow Leaopard and MS Office and Adobe

Reaction score
I know better, but I like new stuff. I upgraded to Snow Leopard and am now almost totally shut down. I am spending most of my time rebooting programs. Entourage, Word, AI, PS, ID and DW all crash repeatedly. Even when they are not active. An action such, as save, will crash. Opening a new file will cause a crash. Yikes. Sure wish I hadn't rushed for the Snow Leopard.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's really causing you this many problems and you are confident that the issues are because of SL, downgrade. There is nothing wrong with running Leopard until all the kinks get worked out of SL. Just make sure to backup your data first.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your problems

But I'm running Snow Leopard and I'm using Mircosoft Office 2008, Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Pro CS4 (No problems but what do I know I'm new to Mac, three week with my new mac book pro) :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know better, but I like new stuff. I upgraded to Snow Leopard and am now almost totally shut down. I am spending most of my time rebooting programs. Entourage, Word, AI, PS, ID and DW all crash repeatedly. Even when they are not active. An action such, as save, will crash. Opening a new file will cause a crash. Yikes. Sure wish I hadn't rushed for the Snow Leopard.

When you installed Snow Leopard, did you do an upgrade or clean install? And did you choose to also install Rosetta? I know that Office requires it for sure in order to install the Office programs. It doesn't need Rosetta to run them but only for installation. I can't speak for the Adobe programs as I do not use any of them.

And as Van advised, you can always go back to Leopard. You do have a backup, right?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
When you installed Snow Leopard, did you do an upgrade or clean install? And did you choose to also install Rosetta? I know that Office requires it for sure in order to install the Office programs. It doesn't need Rosetta to run them but only for installation. I can't speak for the Adobe programs as I do not use any of them.

And as Van advised, you can always go back to Leopard. You do have a backup, right?

Regards.

I have Office 2008 that I've not reinstalled since doing a clean install of Snow Leopard.

Do you leave Rosetta on after an Office install. Does it matter?

Reaction score
A year later and all the kinks have not been worked out yet. Entourage crashes on a regular and consistent basis and opening directories off my Windows server take forever. The wonders of upgrading to Snow Leopard. I have come to the conclusion that if it not broke - don't fix it. No more upgrades for me.

C

chas_m

A year later and all the kinks have not been worked out yet. Entourage crashes on a regular and consistent basis and opening directories off my Windows server take forever. The wonders of upgrading to Snow Leopard. I have come to the conclusion that if it not broke - don't fix it. No more upgrades for me.

That's a lot like saying if you got a sloppy wet kiss from someone, no more kissing anyone else ever! :)

Entourage is an MS product. The one thing MS knows how to do is fail. I don't generally think much of MS products but I think the problem is on your end, as ohers I know with Entourage don't have such issues. You might try using Mail instead.

As for your Windows drive shares, try sharepoint. See if that helps.

Snow Leopard is awesome, actually.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't use Entourage, but there are tons of people out there that are and not experiencing ongoing repeated crashes.

I do run a Win server here, albeit WinHomeServer, and have no issue, nor have I had a single issue with SL browsing the directory structure there, nor on my Xp or Win 7 machines.

Sometimes, it's time for a little troubleshooting, particularly when you're experiencing issues it seems the vast majority are not. It doesn't help just coming around to complain, you or anyone else.

We have a fairly new and fancy Toshiba copier at the office. One day last week it decided not to allow anyone to send any print jobs to it. Then yesterday, it decided not to let us scan and email with an error saying it couldn't connect to the smtp server.

Well, I could have gone and found some Toshiba web site and complained about it not working and why did we change out to this new machine when the 10 yr old one we had was working just fine and I'm never upgrading again. But no, instead we spent a little time (which is not insignificant no matter how little time it is in our office considering our work load), found the individual issues and fixed them.

You might try starting a new thread if you would like to get some help with your issues. We have some pretty good folks here. No guarantees, but hopefully someone could get you pointed in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You might try starting a new thread if you would like to get some help with your issues. We have some pretty good folks here. No guarantees, but hopefully someone could get you pointed in the right direction.

Yep.... perform searches in the search tab, check out the threads, and if the information you want isn't there already, I have no doubt that someone with the know how will be along in no time to answer your questions in your own thread!

Reaction score
Sometimes, it's time for a little troubleshooting, particularly when you're experiencing issues it seems the vast majority are not. It doesn't help just coming around to complain, you or anyone else.

No need to be so defensive. My switch from PC to Mac was a great move. I'm not complaining. In my experience it is a waste of time. I am looking for a solution to the problem.

Have done a lot of troubleshooting and searching of the web. Apparently this problem is rather prevalent and no one has discovered the root of the problem and the solution. Why start a new thread when this one has been around since Sept 2009?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have done a lot of troubleshooting and searching of the web. Apparently this problem is rather prevalent and no one has discovered the root of the problem and the solution. Why start a new thread when this one has been around since Sept 2009?

If the problem is so prevalent, I would have expected to see many more people complaining about it here, but that hasn't happened.

Not trying to say you're not having an issue, but let's not blow it out of proportion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.