reinstalling os x

Reaction score
Hi folks, i am giving blood to find a solution of my problem since a couple of weeks so i gave up and decided to bother some good guy of you.

I just bought from my brother's company a used Macbook pro 2.33ghz, probably running os x 10.4.7 i cant be sure about the os coz i cant open it.
At start up a black screen tells me that there is some problem and asks me if i want to launch Windows or the last working configuration: whatever i chose, the system gives me a blue screen telling me to run chkdisk /f.

Actually i would like to run OS x but i dont have any installation cd coz the ex owner got fired and kept the cd with him :)Grimmace: yes, if i knew this before to buy the mac...).

Now i am asking: if i buy a new os x does anybody know if i could make my mac working?

Thx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, since you already purchased the MBP, it seems kind of foolish to not try to get it to work, and the only you're going to find out is by buying a retail copy of OS X. I would buy a copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.X) and do a clean install.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
In addition to the comments from chscag, from the error you are seeing it looks like someone installed Windows via Bootcamp and the installation became corrupt or was removed. As a result, the machine can't get to a valid operating system to boot.

I agree with chscag, at the very least buy a SL install disk. The machine you have is fairly 'new' and should work properly barring any unforseen hardware issues.

As a test, you may want to try something:

1) Reboot the machine
2) As the machine is coming up (before you get to a grey screen), hold down the 'option' key.

If BootCamp was installed you may be given a choice to boot into Windows or the old OSX installation. Again, this is only a test to see what was done to the machine before hand. I would definitely buy a SL disk, clean the machine and do a complete reinstall.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thx to both of you guys.

If i hold the option key i have 2 choices: one is Windows (but if i chose it the system shows me again the blue screen) the other one is os x but then it asks me for the password of the previous owner :S (here the background image is some kind of syderal space (like time machine))

I dont have any other choice :S

thx a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
So your going to need the disk. Sounds like the hardware, at least with this limited trail/test is functioning enough for you to do an install. Get the disk, wipe the drive and start fresh.

Reaction score
hey i know this is off topic but i really need help... i just installed windows xp home edition with service package 2 through boot camp, and i installed the drivers when i was in windows... in the bottom right hand side on the screen it always say that 'm am connected to the internet using airport but i when i click internet explore it says cannot find sever i have done a lot of thing like the ipconfig/all and the tcp/ip protocol or what ever its called but nothing seems to work and i don't know much about computers i just want to play an online game really bad :[ so anyone can you plz help me..... if you can ty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.