Can't Install OS X Tiger

Reaction score
I recieved an eMac fom my church a couple weeks ago. It is password protected so I can't get into it. None of the IT guys at my church know the password. I git a copy of Tiger to try and wipe the eMac with, but it refuses to recognize the disc. I've tried numerous tricks that I've found on Google, but nothing has worked. I tried booting the disc on a Windows PC, and the PC recognized the disc right away.
I thought the DVD drive on the eMac might be bad, so I switched it out. The new drive did not work, but the old on worked on a PC, so I know the drive isn't bad.
Any and all help is appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recieved an eMac fom my church a couple weeks ago. It is password protected so I can't get into it. None of the IT guys at my church know the password. I git a copy of Tiger to try and wipe the eMac with, but it refuses to recognize the disc. I've tried numerous tricks that I've found on Google, but nothing has worked. I tried booting the disc on a Windows PC, and the PC recognized the disc right away.
I thought the DVD drive on the eMac might be bad, so I switched it out. The new drive did not work, but the old on worked on a PC, so I know the drive isn't bad.
Any and all help is appreciated.

If the Tiger disk you have is grey/silver colored...they are model specific, and the one you have is probably not meant for an eMac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the machine has firmware password protection on it, the only way to get into it is with the password. As no-one seems to know it, you may never get in if it is firmware password protected. Seems to me we are seeing more and more of this on the forums so perhaps this form of protection is becoming more popular. If you had purchased it, other posts say send it back if no password.

Here are instructions on how to disable but first you have to be able to get in:-

How To: Disable Mac OSX firmware password - FileCluster Reviews

Reaction score
Are all Mac OS discs model specific? Cuz that would be really frustrating.
No not All,
The retail packages, (the ones you pay for in a store), will install on any supported Apple computer model.
The disks that come with a computer when purchased are specific to that particular computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.