Do you plug your power adapter into the wall or a surge protector?

Reaction score
My electricity was flickering last night... Should I be worried if something like this happens and my macbook's power adapter is plugged directly into the wall? Would using a surge protector prevent anything from blowing up? :eek:

I think I read somewhere that if something were to happen, Applecare wouldn't cover any damages if they know it was plugged into a surge protector... can anyone validate this? Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Any high-technology/computer device should be plugged into a surge protector.
It's just common sense to do so.

As far as AppleCare is concerend, It would make no difference if it was plugged into a surge protector or not.
AppleCare only covers manufacturer defects... just like most any warranty does.
Lightning strikes or electrical storms that cause power surges are not a manufacturer defect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm a bad engineer.. I just use a wall outlet :D

That being said.. I've never seen a surge protector stop damage during a lightning strike anyway.. most of the time they fuse before they can open and everything plugged in is ruined anyway.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Between TVs, receivers, DVD players, computers, etc.; I have over 30 pieces of electronics equipment plugged in.

My MBP is the only one of them that is not plugged into a surge protector.

Wouldn't advise that for anyone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When I'm at home it gets plugged into a surge protector. At school it gets plugged directly into a socket.

All of my electronics get plugged into a surge protector, and they're good surge protectors too, not the cheap $2 kind :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Surge protector always, and for all of my main electronic stuff, a good one that constantly monitors the power is worth the investment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
thats why you buy a good one that says they'll cover $10g plus if it fails..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I use the wall. If there's a thunderstorm on the way... I unplug it and run on battery. =-O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use an APC UPS for all my computer needs and it gives me almost an hour
if I loose power providing the provider has their system on batteries or generator.

Reaction score
Nope. There really isn't a reason to when there isn't a storm coming or something like that. And if a storm is coming, just run on the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Here's what I have been told, although it's just hearsay...

The typical notebook setup is such that the notebook runs off the battery. Even when plugged in, the adaptor is continuously charging the battery, not powering the machine. This design affords notebooks with halfway decent protection against surges, as the adaptor is not directly connected to sensitive components.

It makes sense to me. That being said though, mine is plugged into a surge protector at home. But I don't worry about it when traveling.

Reaction score
i don't believe that's correct, because the typical laptop you can take the battery out while its on and it won't go off. U can run a laptop without having a battery in granted its plugged in...as for the new macbook pro with the non removable battery no clue on that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here's what I have been told, although it's just hearsay...

The typical notebook setup is such that the notebook runs off the battery. Even when plugged in, the adaptor is continuously charging the battery, not powering the machine. This design affords notebooks with halfway decent protection against surges, as the adaptor is not directly connected to sensitive components.

It makes sense to me. That being said though, mine is plugged into a surge protector at home. But I don't worry about it when traveling.

I would not trust that statement! If this were true, how come the battery stays fully charged all the time when connected? I lost a great LCD tv because my surge protector ran out of outlets and I stupidly plugged the tv right into the wall jack! Everything but my tv was fine when something around us got hit by electricity(power line pole maybe?) Just about everyone would recommend a surge protector, I would stick with that recommendation! I would especially recommend buying the TRIPP-LITE brand. The one I have guarantees it will save everything connected to it or they will cover the expense to replace it up to $100,000!

And why does everyone on here assume that an electrical surge only occurs during a lightning storm only??? That's SO wrong! There doesn't need to lightning for more electricity to enter your home! If something goes wrong with the power pole, you are going to get a huge amount of electricity entering your house!

I'm using this, along with a cheaper $80 one, WELL worth the money!!
Tripplite - 750VA Battery Back-Up System - ECO750UPS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See, that's why. 80 bucks for a surge protector is f'ing ridiculous. For something you're unlikely to need, I don't see the point. Most of us are living in first world countries, I would imagine, where it's unlikely that we will encounter these problems outside of a thunderstorm. If it does happen, well, we may be boned... but buying that 80 dollar protector is something some of us can't afford. I already made myself go broke for my mac. Eventually, when I have my own place and a salaried job, then we'll talk. Until then.. 80 bucks is a lot of cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
See, that's why. 80 bucks for a surge protector is f'ing ridiculous. For something you're unlikely to need, I don't see the point. Most of us are living in first world countries, I would imagine, where it's unlikely that we will encounter these problems outside of a thunderstorm. If it does happen, well, we may be boned... but buying that 80 dollar protector is something some of us can't afford. I already made myself go broke for my mac. Eventually, when I have my own place and a salaried job, then we'll talk. Until then.. 80 bucks is a lot of cash.

True 80 bucks is a lot of cash... But so was getting the service plan. But the only reason I got it was because I wanted to protect my investment.

I think it is a good investment. I can count a lot of times when the power would just go out and also if you look at our power coming into the house it is unregulated and dirty.
"in addition, the current coming from AC power outlets is inherently unbalanced"
some of those backups clean the power make it more stable thus prolonging the life of your laptop aka investment. I spent way too much money on this to play the game of chance of something going wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True. I wish I had the money to protect like that, but I don't think any of my surge protectors is that great. I may have one laying around somewhere. Think the fiancee will notice its clunkiness on the floor behind my couch? We've got the couch about 4 feet from the back wall of the room, which has tons of power outlets... Maybe I'll see if I can find one of my old protectord and plug it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I needed it when I didn't use it, now I know better! Whether or not you have the money is besides the point!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doh, can't find my extra one. And actually it isn't besides the point, it's right in front of the point, standing in the way of it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

your right (they're marked up big time), i have a few monster PS that am using but i got a deal on them, the other reason for using them is cleaner power, its no joke. if you have hi end audio or tv and other units hooked up, having a decent PS help..

Reaction score
Any high-technology/computer device should be plugged into a surge protector.
It's just common sense to do so.

As far as AppleCare is concerend, It would make no difference if it was plugged into a surge protector or not.
AppleCare only covers manufacturer defects... just like most any warranty does.
Lightning strikes or electrical storms that cause power surges are not a manufacturer defect.

After loosing a few power supplies on my crappy PC's I bought 2x Smart UPS 1500's and now my home theater, routers, switches, and Mac's run on these puppies. On my home theater system which has the TV, DVD... gives me about 25 minutes of run time along with the usual power protection and surge protection. If I plug in my laptop directly into the UPS I have the protection, and I have about an hour of run time. It's quite convenient and I don't risk the high end equipment. APC makes some solid battery backups.

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.