Booting from USB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 " MacBook Pro 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB HDD; 15" PowerBook G4 1.25GHz 2GB 80GB HDD
Hey guys,

I have a small query here. I know its not possible to boot from a USB port on my PowerBook G4 (1.25Ghz 15" FW800), and would I be right in assuming it's because the ports are not powered at startup? But what if I add a USB card to the PC card slot? Would I be able to boot from that?

Thanks in advance!! :)

OP
jhonrox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the answer to my question above is 'Yes', would this product work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The part where it says 'Supports Windows drivers' is a little bit of a problem as that usually means 'No Macs'. What are you trying to boot from the USB port? If for example you wish to boot from an external HDD, or an external optical drive, then Firewire is the only way as older PowerPC machines like ours will boot. USB, even USB2 is much too slow.

Only Intel machines can boot from USB2.

Reaction score
The part where it says 'Supports Windows drivers' is a little bit of a problem as that usually means 'No Macs'. What are you trying to boot from the USB port? If for example you wish to boot from an external HDD, or an external optical drive, then Firewire is the only way as older PowerPC machines like ours will boot. USB, even USB2 is much too slow.

Only Intel machines can boot from USB2.
A quick google search "Boot PPC mac from USB"
says you are not quite right about this.
(polite way of saying you are wrong);D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A quick google search "Boot PPC mac from USB"
says you are not quite right about this.
(polite way of saying you are wrong);D

I know for a fact the older G4 Towers will NOT boot from a USB External. Tried it many times. If you read all those URLs that showed up, most say only some of the newer Power PC Macs worked, but I personally have never been able to boot a PPC Mac from USB but all mine that I have tried it on are quite old.

Also the same exact drive booted on the same machine using Firewire. External USB/Firewire case.

Also note USB 2.0. Older Power PC Macs do not use USB 2.0.

Boot a PowerPC Mac from a USB2 drive

Also please don't be rude. What Harry said is very true in a lot of cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry about it thanks Dennis. We both know the futility of trying to boot from USB, despite what such a renowned, reliable source old Google is. Personally have tried to boot between 350 and 400 G3, G4 and G5 machines from USB and USB2 without a single success.

They just sit there and refuse to boot.

OP
jhonrox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.
I tried the step-by-step guide given in the link by dtravis7, but it didn't work for me.

What are you trying to boot from the USB port?
I run 2 OS - one on PowerBook's internal hdd and one on my external hdd (which has FW400 and USB2.0). However the bit of plastic in the middle of FW400 port broke away, and I just wondered if its possible to boot from USB. I just thought it would be cheaper to buy a pc card with USB rather than buy an hdd with FW ports.

Although after thinking about it for days, I came to a really really really expensive solution - I'm gonna get a 15" MacBook Pro! To be honest, I've wanted to for a long time. Even though the PowerBook is an awesome machine, 1.25 GHz PowerPC is not enough to get things done these days, even after a memory upgrade to 2GB. There's also the issue that a lot of stuff now needs an Intel processor to work ...

Anyways, thanks again for the comments/suggestions everybody! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good for you jhonrox and all you needed was the excuse to lash out on the MBP! The external drive will now work just fine on USB. No doubt you joined the 'sit there and not boot' fraternity trying to boot the G4 from USB.

OP
jhonrox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha that's right! I really shouldn't be 'lashing' out on a MBP right now (I'm just a college student and should be saving up for Uni) but MBP, like many other Apple products, are irresistable!

So yeah, I'll have it pretty soon .. hopefully!
Thanks again guys!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.