Applications question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig Memory, GeForce 9400M, 160 GB HD, Snow Leopard.
My wife spilt wine and killed my white MacBook on Saturday as posted previously, so ordered a unibody MacBook the next day. Got the computer last night and am loving it, and frankly it looks the dogs Danglies.

So maybe a dumb question. I managed to rescue the HD from my old MacBook but it seems my new one doesn't come with iLife so no iphoto, Garage band (indispensable as it is great for recording ideas quickly) etc. Is there any way of getting it from my old HD onto the new Mac? I suspect not but nothing ventured, nothing gained and I don't really want to spend 9000 yen on top of what I've just spent if I don't have to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Isn't iLife part of the system? Did you get a clean install from the store or bough it from some1 else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Are you planning on an enclosure for your old HD - that way you have ability to have bootable back up for future wine spills. If that is the case then with it connected you can copy across what you want before doing the back up. Other choice is to use Pacifist to install apps off either install disk.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig Memory, GeForce 9400M, 160 GB HD, Snow Leopard.
Thanks for the replys guys.

Isn't iLife part of the system? Did you get a clean install from the store or bough it from some1 else?

It had a clean install from the store as I got the welcome screen. So it seems it doesn't come with the install disks. Haven't checked mind you. I too thought it came with the machine, but guess only from Apple.

Are you planning on an enclosure for your old HD - that way you have ability to have bootable back up for future wine spills. If that is the case then with it connected you can copy across what you want before doing the back up. Other choice is to use Pacifist to install apps off either install disk.

HD is in an enclosure, first thing i did so I will give that a go. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I think if you just copy the applications they should work, you might need to create directories with the appropriate path .... however ... it probably is against the EULA ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Prepare for ........... check out SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Isn't superduper more or less meant for backups? If he has a fresh new system I don't see any benefit from cloning the old system over it ... or I don't see where you're going with superduper, could you elaborate?

(I'm not familiar with superduper, so it might be stupid to ask)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SuperDuper does 2 main things - when using it to Clone it makes a copy of the Apps Folder and uses the main user files, so that one can test an application upgrade on the cloned apps folder before installing it in your Main Apps folder. Then the second use is to make and exact bootable copy of your HD so you can actually boot off an ext disk and carry on working as normal. It also will do a smart back up after the initial back up and only include files that have changed. For me a bootable back up is essential as HD and logic boards do fail - my MBP did after 18 months and i just carried on working from Ext HD copy until i got it back then uploaded the latest changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Thanks for the replys guys.

It had a clean install from the store as I got the welcome screen. So it seems it doesn't come with the install disks. Haven't checked mind you. I too thought it came with the machine, but guess only from Apple.

HD is in an enclosure, first thing i did so I will give that a go. Cheers.

As an aside I'd definitely speak to the store you got it from. If it's new it should come with the iLife and OSX install discs.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As an aside I'd definitely speak to the store you got it from. If it's new it should come with the iLife and OSX install discs.

Checked the boxes and neither this one nor my white MacBook came with iLife install discs, although the old one came with iLife installed.:Confused:

I'll contact the store and see what they say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.