Finder Crash Loop (iLeopard)

Reaction score
I recently installed a program called 'iLeopard' for my MacBook Pro. (This program unifies the UI of leopard to match the scroll bars and other facets of the iTunes interface. so it gets rid of aqua, gem-like UI bits)

So i installed it and then restarted my computer.

But when i logged in upon attempting to open ANY application from my dock, open ANY file on my desktop, or even DO ANYTHING (ex. run spotlight, open force quit menu, system preferences, empty trash..)

either the apps will NOT open, or the finder will start to loop and crash and open and crash and open and crash over and over.
The problem is i can't access any application or get into ANYTHING. So I am scared I will lose everything on my computer. Is there anything I can do?!

I know there is a solution using Terminal from CD Start up, but i don't how to execute it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
are you able to open up safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
There's not a solution using terminal from the CD start up... I had to archive and reinstall when I encountered the same issue (implemented my own theme using Magnifique).

If you've got an apple store nearby, I recommend going there and being like, "yea I just need you guys to archive and install." Tell them what you did, how it was stupid and you repent, and then they should do it up. I mean, if you've got the discs you can do it yourself, but the store does it from an image on another mac so it goes a lot quicker... plus they will get you up to date with updates and crap from their own personal store server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
I
Reaction score
I can barely move things and restart my mac.
If i try to open a folder or a application or simple execute spotlight, finder will crash and loop.

I've try different solutions:
Repair disk permissions (I notice that some permissions can't be repaired)
Repair Disk, everything is Ok.
Contact iLeopard responsible and no reply appear.
Search for similar problem with other users and no solution appear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LISTEN TO ME. The solution is an archive and install to rewrite the system files that you screwed up with your improvised GUI.

NO he cannot open apps, assuming this is what I am 99% sure it is. I tried when I got caught in the loop to use quicksilver to open apps also, still didn't work.

You need to archive and reinstall.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And yet again, another reason to have an external bootable backup to be able to restore your system from.

OP
I
Reaction score
If I install Snow Leopard, keeping my files (Updating)..
I there a chance that this problems disappears?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is pretty much what I was suggesting by reinstalling 10.5 update, but if you have snow leopard, this should rewrite the corrupted files.
If you are able to backup what you have onto an external hard drive, still worth doing!
Just don't do a clean install until you know that it is rectified, and you can then back up again if it is, and then do a clean install if you wish.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

There is a chance.

However, if your issue is being caused by some application you have installed that puts hooks (or it's own kexts) in the OS, there is also the chance that you could not even boot up to the desktop after the upgrade to SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod
And yet again, another reason to have an external bootable backup to be able to restore your system from.

Or better yet. Don't download shady freeware. Here is a list of not so bright people saying they love it while at the same time reporting problems - also when you have the developer asking "ur,..what else is wrong", it is highly improbable that said freeware will ever remain in sync with Apple's sophisticated software updates.

This is a 20-60% of an IT guy's job depending on what company he/she works for, fixing a users computer when they shouldn't have been doing what they were doing in the first place.

I think the recommendation to go to your local Apple Genius bar is best regardless of whether they should help you or not. But I suppose that is a question of business ethics - after all apple.com promotes downloads that may or may not be friendly towards your computer. Downloads they didn't create and don't really testify as 'safe'.

What this is really all about, and a perfect example of, is that we are migrating (no pun intended O:) ) towards an age of greater consumer responsibility and user competence. Whether that will work out or not, a wiser man/woman might know. But the idea will certainly help tell major manufactures what direction technology should go in order to move forward with confidence their stock won't drop with any major changes i.e. risk. Full circle I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That would guarantee your problem disappears, as it will rewrite the default system GUI files.

Also, I found this particular forum (mac-forums) is nowhere near as useful regarding this subject as say... The MacThemes Forum.

Considering that this is where the developers of said apps tend to reside, an at the very least people who are using the same products as you... I'd have begun asking for help there. You're lucky I was here though to tell you what happened. I just had the same problem in Leopard a few weeks before snow leopard released.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.