problems with mac USB wirless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz G5, 4g ram, OSX 10.5.
Hi, I recently bought a $20 USB adaptor for my PPC G5. Installed the driver, followed all directions and was it working fine. Then I moved it for a while into the other room and used it with an ethernet connection. Changed the Network settings over to connect from the cable, everything worked fine.

The problem is now that I'm trying to reconnect with the USB adaptor it's not working. I've switched Network settings back to connect from the USB and have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver multiple times. Tried with the password on and off. Feel like I've tried everything. It just says "connecting..." and then just hangs there and never connects...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have to say I have never, ever, got one of the dashed things to work. That seems to be the norm 'connecting...............................' and then zilch. The only way out for me with a Dual Core was to bite the bullet and install the Airport/Bluetooth Combo Card, complete with standoff card etc etc.

If your 2.5GHz is a Dual Processor rather than a Dual Core, you will get out of it cheaper with the Aiport Extreme card.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I recently bought a $20 USB adaptor for my PPC G5. Installed the driver, followed all directions and was it working fine. Then I moved it for a while into the other room and used it with an ethernet connection. Changed the Network settings over to connect from the cable, everything worked fine.

Just like Harry said...whenever I hear of someone trying to use a USB wireless adapter...I usually hear more "bad" stories than good!:(

Airport is usually the best solution for wireless networking for Mac's.

And like Harry also mentioned...if you got a dual core or quad core G5...you need that expensive airport/bluetooth combo card...and the riser card.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
really, is there nothing else I can do? b/c it WAS working orginally. got it up and running just fine. Now nothing...

In "about this mac" it just says "Dual 2.5ghz G5 PPC". How do i know if it's a dual core or dual processor? I bought it used a few months ago. thought core and processor meant the same thing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
really, is there nothing else I can do? b/c it WAS working orginally. got it up and running just fine. Now nothing...

In "about this mac" it just says "Dual 2.5ghz G5 PPC". How do i know if it's a dual core or dual processor? I bought it used a few months ago. thought core and processor meant the same thing.

Dual-core & dual processor are different...but in your case you're lucky!:)

There was only a "dual-processor" PowerMac G5...which IS compatible with the "regular" airport extreme card.

So just go to e-Bay and buy yourself a used Airport Extreme card. They usually sell for about $20-$30 bucks.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not to disagree with Nick, but there is a 2.5GHz Dual Core machine. The simplest way is to go to About this Mac in the Menu Bar under the Apple icon and tells us what memory is shown. DDR2 memory it is a Dual Core.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks guys. Looks like i just have a dual processor. it just says DDR. So the airport extreme is all I need? I called a local mac service place and they said with G5's it can be tricky and it's hard to get it right. he said you could try up to three different cards from ebay before you get it right. Not sure if he's just trying to get me to spend extra money having his company install it though.

You guys pretty sure all I need is the airport extreme?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to disagree with Nick, but there is a 2.5GHz Dual Core machine. The simplest way is to go to About this Mac in the Menu Bar under the Apple icon and tells us what memory is shown. DDR2 memory it is a Dual Core.

Are you sure Harry?;)...I'm "usually" pretty anal about double checking before posting if I'm not 100% sure of something...and to the best of my knowledge there was a:

- 2.0ghz dual core PowerMac G5
- 2.3ghz dual-core PowerMac G5
- 2.5ghz quad-core PowerMac G5

But as far as I know...no 2.5ghz dual-core.

If there was a 2.5ghz dual-core PowerMac G5 I would like to know.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks guys. Looks like i just have a dual processor. it just says DDR. So the airport extreme is all I need? I called a local mac service place and they said with G5's it can be tricky and it's hard to get it right. he said you could try up to three different cards from ebay before you get it right. Not sure if he's just trying to get me to spend extra money having his company install it though.

You guys pretty sure all I need is the airport extreme?

As far as what your Mac Service guy said...well I'm not going to say that he's wrong...of course it's possible to purchase a used card on e-Bay and it not work. There are bad sellers out there. But if you buy from someone with a good reputation...it should probably work fine.

I've probably purchased around 10 Airport cards from e-Bay...and everyone worked!...(fingers crossed...knock on wood!):)

If I had your computer I would just get the older Airport Extreme card (the one on top in the photo below):

Hope this helps,

- Nick

DSCN1243.jpg

One thing to also remember. For the airport extreme card to work properly on a PowerMac G5...you need the little external antenna:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.