Migration Assistant won't restore from Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
So my old iMac took a dive (power supply) and I bought a new 24" iMac today for the need of a larger screen and faster CPU.

I'm trying to restore from my Time Capsule using Migration Assistant, and after I enter my admin password, select the disk to restore from, I enter my Time Capsule password and it sits on "Connecting..." and has been like that for at least 20 minutes.

Any ideas? I'm really not looking forward to waiting for the replacement power supply board to arrive so I can manually transfer files but it looks like I might have to.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is it a time machine backup that you are trying to restore from?

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, my Time Capsule is on the wireless network and I am trying to restore from it using Migration Assistant. I read the Console log and it's unable to mount the sparse bundle, I read on the Apple Discussion forum that downgrading to 7.3 fixed that problem, but that was downgrading from 7.3.1 and I'm on 7.4.2 I believe.

I'll try it later tonite when I get home and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you have your install disk, you could try installing, then, at the end of installation, when it gives you option to restore from time machine backup, take that road!

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have your install disk, you could try installing, then, at the end of installation, when it gives you option to restore from time machine backup, take that road!

No luck. It sees the Time Capsule, but says "0 Time Machine Backups found"

Console Log says:
9/17/09 4:37:10 PM [0x0-0x11011].com.apple.MigrateAssistant[175] 2009-09-17 16:37:10 -0700 -[SMSystem_RemoteTMDiskShare(Private) _mountDMGBackups:]:445 Mounted backup image '/Volumes/AirCapsule2/iMac_0016cb9f9ff2.sparsebundle' at /Volumes/Backup of iMac (0 of 1)
9/17/09 4:37:11 PM [0x0-0x11011].com.apple.MigrateAssistant[175] 2009-09-17 16:37:11 -0700 -[SMSystem_RemoteTMDiskShare(Private) _mountDMGBackups:]:463 Finished searching remote share at /Volumes/AirCapsule2

I can mount the SparseBundle, but not looking forward to scavenging the incremental backups to get what I need... :(

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I was able to mount the SparseBundle then held the mouse button down on the Time Machine icon in the dock to choose "Browse other Time Machine Disks" and selected the bundle that I had mounted, my files are copying back.

Last night I couldn't even get the bundle to mount until I downgraded the Time Capsule to 7.3.

So I'm currently looking at restoring 52GB in 5 hours (says the Finder). . . . We'll see about that. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear... I hope this finally resolves your issues.
I'd def recommend setting up an external HD for time machine backups as a safety net in the future .
Where migration assistant hasn't failed me in the past, restoring from time machine backup after reinstalling from disc has saved my butt many times :)

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear... I hope this finally resolves your issues.
I'd def recommend setting up an external HD for time machine backups as a safety net in the future .
Where migration assistant hasn't failed me in the past, restoring from time machine backup after reinstalling from disc has saved my butt many times :)

I do use an external hard drive but my music and some documents I hadn't saved yet were on there. My truly important stuff gets saved to the external HD and to DVD. ;) If I couldn't connect to the Time Capsule not all would have been lost, just a little more time rebuilding some stuff. Just checked the restore... 4GB down, a lot more to go... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.