Searching in finder

Reaction score
Hello there!

I have an issue which is really puzzling and bugging me.

I have always been a little suspicious towards the search function in OS X as I've had a feeling it sometimes didn't find everything I was searching for.
(Being an old windows user I was used to file searching however being slow, being very exact)

Now this concern has gone into something ridiculous. When I search for a file i KNOW is in a certain map it still can't find it. I have a lot of external hard drives which I tend to search a lot (I work with sound effects and love to just do a quick search in my external sample library) but now it can't find most of the files.

Is there something I have missed? An option or a setting? Are there any alternatives for searching files except the built in and spotlight?

I would be really thankful for any insights in this issue. I'm really going nuts browsing thousands of files manually.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't recall if this was available in 10.5, but in snow leopard:
when you type in your search in the finder window, then click the + tab (which will show up under the search once you start typing) you will get more specific search options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.