Ubuntu Live CD won't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook5,2;2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo;120 GB HDD;2 GB RAM
I try to boot into the Ubuntu live CD by holding down C when booting. It gets to the part where I select Try without making any changes to my computer. Then I pick that and it goes to a black screen and the CD starts to spin, then after maybe 20 seconds, the CD stops spinning and pretty much nothing happens. Anyone know what I can do?

Reaction score
What computer are you trying to run it on? It probably doesn't like the graphics card, in which case you should be able to specify "safe graphics" mode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't boot the Ubuntu Live CD on a Mac without using rEFIt since the GRUB boot loader knows nothing about EFI. :)

Download rEFIt from here.

Be careful using rEFIt and make doubly sure you have a bootable backup of your hard drive. Use either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner before doing anything.

Regards.

Reaction score
Booting the Live CD doesn't involve GRUB. You need to modify the boot settings.

OP
Leet Sher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I tried safe graphics mode but it didn't work. rEFIt didn't recognize a disc being in the computer. Any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried safe graphics mode but it didn't work. rEFIt didn't recognize a disc being in the computer. Any other ideas?

Did you install rEFIt first?

Here's one way to do it. However, it's dangerous and may cause your machine to lose its boot capability to OS X.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Modify the boot setting where? Explain that to the OP so he can get it to work.

Regards.

Reaction score
Modify the boot setting where? Explain that to the OP so he can get it to work.
When you boot from the Live CD, right after choosing a language there are other options if you press F6. I had to disable APIC or something when I tried booting my iBook G4 from the "Intrepid Ibex" Live CD. I've booted a few MacBooks into Ubuntu Live without any problem. What kind of computer is this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it probably would be easier for the OP to download a PPC version of Ubuntu, however, I'm not sure there is one for the latest release. The current Live CD of Ubuntu (9.04) will not stand alone boot from EFI. There is a forced work around as I replied to the OP previously. However, that can cause problems with OS X as it seems to modify the partition information that OS X uses to boot.

I strongly recommend running Ubuntu either from Boot Camp, or better yet, use VM software. Virtual Box is free and seems to work real well.

Regards.

OP
Leet Sher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright guys, I'm installing it on VirtualBox. I may delete it though if I didn't put enough RAM into it. I had a 64-bit version and that was probably why it didn't work but I would have used VM in the first place, I just didn't know there was a free one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. Yeah, the 64 bit version of Ubuntu won't work from VirtualBox but the 32 bit version definitely will. As far as memory requirements go, allocating 1 GB to it should be fine. Let us know how it works out.

Regards.

OP
Leet Sher
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It works pretty good so far. I also installed with VB a copy of Windows XP. Thanks for the help. I also booted from the Live CD be disabled ACPI on boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.