External Monitor Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Hello all,

I am using a brand new mini displayport to DVI adapter with my 13" MBP.

I am running a DVI cable to my monitor (Asus 22" 1080p)

I am getting no signal. It says there is no signal from the cable and the monitor goes into sleep mode.

I have the same issue with a DVI to HDMI cable as I do with the regular DVI cable. The monitor worked fine with PC and 360 through DVI and VGA respectively.

I think its either the adapter or the macbook itself.

Any ideas on how to test it or fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 250GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Mine was doing that to me at first... I had to close my macbook and hook up a mouse to get the monitor to work as the primary display. Otherwise it would simply act as a secondary monitor.

That was kinda vague but I hope it helps... lol

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine was doing that to me at first... I had to close my macbook and hook up a mouse to get the monitor to work as the primary display. Otherwise it would simply act as a secondary monitor.

That was kinda vague but I hope it helps... lol

No, i mean it doesn't recognize anything. The macbook sends nothing to the display. It doesn't function as anything at the moment.

It's like its not even hooked up...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried going from the mini display port adapter to a VGA cable and then to your Asus monitor? (That would mean purchasing another adapter) Also, you might want to set the Asus back to its factory default settings and see if that works.

I have a hard time believing that a new MBP 13" machine is not sending a video signal through its port. I guess it's possible, but not likely.

You've already ascertained that the monitor is OK by hooking it to a PC. The only way to test the cables is to substitute them with known good ones.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried going from the mini display port adapter to a VGA cable and then to your Asus monitor? (That would mean purchasing another adapter) Also, you might want to set the Asus back to its factory default settings and see if that works.

Yea, that's another $30 :(

I have a hard time believing that a new MBP 13" machine is not sending a video signal through its port. I guess it's possible, but not likely.

Maybe I'll take the macbook to the Apple Store soon. They could probabyl test it with another monitor or cable...

You've already ascertained that the monitor is OK by hooking it to a PC. The only way to test the cables is to substitute them with known good ones.

Yea, I just used the monitor with the save DVI cable on my PC tonight. So its definitely either the macbook or the DP to dvi adapter...

i'll try resetting my monitor to default, though I doubt it'll do anything...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.