snow leopard and g++

Reaction score
I used to make programs and compile them using gcc or g++. After installing Snow Leopard, the terminal doesn't recognize gcc or g++. Has this happened to anyone else? Any way to fix? Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Install Xcode. GCC is included as part of the install. You can find it on either your install discs or through Apple's developer site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
He's right... after the snow leopard install..

mikeMbp:~ mike$ gcc
-bash: gcc: command not found
mikeMbp:~ mike$ which gcc
mikeMbp:~ mike$

Those bastids... why on earth would they muck with my xcode :Shouting:

OP
S
Reaction score
Ah ok, good to know this has happened to other people. What should I do if I already have XCode installed? Re-install it (looked online at it doesn't seem like an easy process)? Thx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, download 3.2 (might as well get the iphone 3.1 SDK too) and install.. not a huge deal, they'll require you open a free ADC account.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ah ok, good to know this has happened to other people. What should I do if I already have XCode installed? Re-install it (looked online at it doesn't seem like an easy process)? Thx.
While you can get the newest version online through ADC, it's also on your SL disc. I realize that you probably want the newest version but I would venture a guess that the one on the disc is probably the newest seeing as how recent SL is. ;)

The one on the disc is 3.2. Go to the "Optional Installs" folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While you can get the newest version online through ADC, it's also on your SL disc. I realize that you probably want the newest version but I would venture a guess that the one on the disc is probably the newest seeing as how recent SL is. ;)

The one on the disc is 3.2. Go to the "Optional Installs" folder.
:D :D :D :D

getting up to go get the media was more work than downloading it :D

Reaction score
Xcode cost $ now

Hi all, so I checked out downloading xcode from the AD site, after re-installing snow leopard, and it turns out they charge for it now! I don't even care to use it, I just need to use the GNU CPP compiler, so what do you suggest?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There's a copy of Xcode, the previous free version, on your Snow Leopard disc, so use that if you don't want to pay the $5 bucks for one from the Mac Store..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a copy of Xcode, the previous free version, on your Snow Leopard disc, so use that if you don't want to pay the $5 bucks for one from the Mac Store..
There is also the (still free) 3.x version on the developer site. In fact, it was even updated recently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.