Brand New MacBook Pro-Old Problems Transferred?

Reaction score
Advice needed: I admit to using Limewire and Frostwire in the past on a previous MacBook (purchased in Sept. 08). After a few months, I noticed that my energy saver settings were NOT being followed. In short, my computer would NEVER bring up the screen saver, put the desktop to sleep, etc. on its own - AND my hot corner settings to activate the SS or put the desktop to sleep wouldn't work either (it would last 3 seconds, then return to the regular screen).

Took it into the Apple store and spoke with a 'genius', who said that whenever he sees really weird things going on (like my problem) it was undoubtedly due to downloading files. He recommended I re-install my operating system (which I did) but the problem persisted.

I bought a brand new MacBook Pro on Monday, transferred all of my previous files, and of course now the EXACT SAME old problem persists on the new computer (now I know that the files are completely corrupted).

Obviously, I deserve this for downloading files, but here are my questions:

1) If I removed all of the files in question that may be affecting the problem (using secure empty trash) could this possibly rectify the issue?

2) And if I deleted everything, but kept the corrupted files on an external, guesses on whether it would harm the hard drive that I've just 'cleaned' when I play the files via the external?

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - is my brand new hard-drive corrupted in some way forever no matter what steps I take to solve this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.