Ping packet loss, 100%

Reaction score
I have been trying to upload files to several different sites using several different FTP clients (Fetch, FireFTP and FileZilla), with no success.

I'm using a Macbook Pro, OS X 10.4.11, Tiger. I have a cable modem, set up by Comcast. I have previously been able to use Fetch, FireFTP and Cyberduck with success.

But now for some reason, I keep getting a message that the server dropped the connection. Depending on the FTP client, I either get a connection that is immediately dropped, or it never connects.

After a LOT of research on the web, I learned how to ping. And the message I got was that 10 packets were sent and 100% were not received, 100% loss.

I've reset my modem, I have no firewalls, no routers (this is just one little laptop trying to connect to sites on the web). I've verified that port 21 is not blocked and I'm correctly set to passive mode.

HELP, please!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's either an ISP problem or you've got a modem that's not working right. Contact Comcast support and have them do a test on your modem from their end. Comcast is famous for limiting bandwidth especially if they detect you're using too much but they would not cut it entirely without telling you first.

A PING with 100% loss simply means you're not getting through....

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Well, I contacted Comcast and they were useless. They said everything is working fine, and that I should clear my browser cache or try SmartFTP! (I had told them I was using a Mac.) Also, I am WAY under their monthly bandwidth limit.

OP
E
Reaction score
This problem only surfaced after I had to get my motherboard (logic board) replaced by Apple. Do you think they might have done something that screwed this all up? That last little repair job cost $1,700, and I'd SURE hate to have to pay another chunk of money to have them fix it again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wish you had mentioned the fact that the logic board was replaced and from that time on you started having problems.....

Very definitely take the machine back to Apple and have them check it out. It's possible that the airport card is not seated correctly or possibly something they did caused the problem.

After paying $1700 for a repair (just about the cost of new machine) they should check it out for free. Let us know.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
My email program sent your reply to junk mail so I just found it.

I wish you had mentioned the fact that the logic board was replaced and from that time on you started having problems.....

Sorry, I didn't make the connection before. Last time I used any FTP client was back in April, and I had the logic board replaced in August.

Very definitely take the machine back to Apple and have them check it out. It's possible that the airport card is not seated correctly or possibly something they did caused the problem.

I have an appointment for tomorrow. It's got to be that; I've exhausted all other possibilities. How tiresome.

After paying $1700 for a repair (just about the cost of new machine) they should check it out for free. Let us know.

Regards.

Actually, it was "only" $1,350. Don't know where I got $1,700--I guess it just felt like that much. ;)

Thanks for your help and I'll report back on what it is.

Reaction score
Hi,
is the "rest" of the Internet working correctly (web, mail, ...) ? If so I doubt that the problem is related to a hardware failure since it affects only one protocol (FTP).

- The ping loss:
Which site did you try to ping ? If it is the FTP server you're trying to connect to, it can be that it is just configured to ignore ping requests. Can you try pinging anoter site e.g.
Code:
ping www.apple.com

- The FTP issue:
Do you have the possibility to connect to another ftp server ? We have to find out if the problem is on your side or on the server side.

Tex

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi,
is the "rest" of the Internet working correctly (web, mail, ...) ? If so I doubt that the problem is related to a hardware failure since it affects only one protocol (FTP).

That's interesting! Yes, everything else is working correctly. Although at one of the sites, I was unable to upload even using their http uploader (I guess that's what it is) until I took my laptop to a wi-fi location. Then I could upload with Java, but still not any FTP client.

- The ping loss:
Which site did you try to ping ? If it is the FTP server you're trying to connect to, it can be that it is just configured to ignore ping requests. Can you try pinging anoter site e.g.
Code:
ping www.apple.com

Cannot ping apple.com, either. 100% packet loss. I called Comcast and they pinged my modem, for what it's worth. Which I suspect isn't much. ;)

- The FTP issue:
Do you have the possibility to connect to another ftp server ? We have to find out if the problem is on your side or on the server side.

Tex

I'm sure it's on my side; I've tried connecting to four different sites with no luck.

Reaction score
Hmm well that's strange.

It looks like something is blocking your connections. Let's try to find out if it is your Mac or your home network setup.

You said that you have no router, just a modem. Are you connected via Ethernet ? Does your mac get a public IP. You can verify that like this:
- go to What is my IP to get your public IP
- open Terminal and check your Ethernet IP with
Code:
ifconfig en0
I suppose that the name of your ethernet interface is en0 but I'm not sure cos I never used Tiger.

If those 2 IPs are the same then your mac has a public ip assigned.

Would you have the possibility to try to ping/ftp from your home with another computer ? This would tell us if the problem is your modem/provider or your mac.
Tex

OP
E
Reaction score
I am connected via Ethernet. My IP according to that site is 67.180.69.27

and here's what I get using Terminal and the code you gave me:

Last login: Tue Sep 22 10:38:42 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
localhost:~ colleen$ ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:1b:63:95:ef:39
media: autoselect status: inactive
supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
localhost:~ colleen$

Unfortunately the only other computer we have at home is not connected to the internet. I don't think it even has a working modem.

OP
E
Reaction score
I'm using Airport, too, if that makes any difference. Also, I kept having a problem with getting messages that "another application has changed your location" on Airport. I understand that is some kind of glitch that happens. I was able to correct it and lock it. I also deleted other locations (actually all the same location, just different names) that I had. I wonder if that makes a difference?

OP
E
Reaction score
This is what I get:

Last login: Wed Sep 23 11:23:58 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
localhost:~ colleen$ ifconfig en1
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21b:63ff:fec5:d120%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet6 2002:43b4:451b::21b:63ff:fec5:d120 prefixlen 64 autoconf
inet 10.0.1.200 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.1.255
ether 00:1b:63:c5:d1:20
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect
localhost:~ colleen$

Also, I was fooling around with Airport just now and turned it off and selected "connect with built-in ethernet" and I got a message that I do not appear to have an ethernet connection ... ? And just now when I look at Airport, I see that in addition to "home" (my location), there is another network: 2WIRE517. I've never seen that before.

Reaction score
This is what I get:
localhost:~ colleen$ ifconfig en1
inet 10.0.1.200 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.1.255
So this means that you are behind a router since 10.0.1.200 is a LAN address.

In the 1st post you said that you had no routers so I assumed you were connected directly to the modem.

Could you tell me what is your network setup ? Which wifi access point do you have ? I'd guess is something like

Code:
internet --- modem --- access point --- mac book
correct ?

Could you plug the modem directly to your mbp with a cable ?

OP
E
Reaction score
I JUST SOLVED IT!

After talking about Airport, I Googled for answers and came across this Apple troubleshooting guide (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1401), which suggests unplugging Airport, waiting 30 seconds and trying again.

"This addresses a common scenario in which a base station that has been powered on and connected to the Internet for an extended period holds an IP address (DHCP lease) for a longer period of time than your Internet service provider allows. "

Re: routers, I figured that since this is just one computer not on a network, I didn't have a router. (To be honest, I wasn't--and still am not--totally clear on exactly what a router is. But I think I read that it's an external physical device, not a driver or internal piece of hardware.)

Anyway after reading your comments, it occurred to me that maybe Airport has a router, so that led me to search on Airport troubleshooting. Which led me to that webpage, and SOLUTION!

I am so happy! Thank you so much for your help, Tex!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.