Safari doesn't display some pages correctly

Reaction score
Hi,

Safari (Latest updates installed) doesn't display some pages correctly.

EG Paypal looks more like a word document with hyperlinks that a web page with colours and graphics etc.

A friend of mine tells me my safari isnt showing CSS styles, whatever that is.

Anyone know how I fix this annoying problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PayPal displays fine from here with Safari 4.03. The only thing I can suggest is to open Safari preferences, and click on the Appearance Tab. Check to see that you're using the correct Default encoding. Mine says it's using (Western ISO Latin 1).

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah I have 4.03 too. Western ISO latern 1 is set also.

It isnt just paypal, its many sites. say one in ten.

Another thing it keeps saying the certificate for most sites are invalid. It even dosent this for apple.com!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting Safari from the drop down menu. Clean out History and the browser cache. As far as the certificate warning goes, you can turn that off in preferences under security, however, it's not a good idea to do so.

I have no idea what your friend is referring to about CSS styles. As far as I know, there is no way to edit that in Safari. That would be something done by the web site developer.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
My friend was saying safari is not interpreting css correctly hence how everything looks like a word doc. APparently css is what tells what of a site to display where and how. SOunds feasible if a web site is designed with CSS code then safari should know how to interperate this code, no?

No I dont want to turn off security certificates. I want to know why my safari doesnt trust any site on earth, even apple's.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what to advise you.... I don't have any problems with the way Safari displays web sites nor a problem with certificates. I rarely get the certificate warning and Apple's site is OK.

Perhaps your copy of Safari is corrupt. Remove it and reinstall. Or, download and use FireFox from Mozilla. If you experience the same problems with FireFox, then you can assume it's your ISP and not the browser.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My safari is on same version and i have no issues with pages loading, so if you are sure there is no problem with your ISP then i would try downloading the combo update for your OS and run that, which might sort your issue.

OP
K
Reaction score
whats the combo update Collin?

I must stress I didn't think for one moment everyone would be having the problem with safari. Its still a problem for me though.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If safari doesn't do it for you. Why not just move onto a different browser?

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread,but why is my safari opening everything up in a new window when I clicked open in new tab...Like 40 times.

OP
K
Reaction score
crimson - the reason I switched to a mac is because everything just works, apparently.
If I have to start being dictated to by my machine what software I can or cannot use please explain how this is any better or worse than windows. Especially when the app were taking about is from apple itself.

This prob hasn't happened once today im pleased to say

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Not to hijack the thread,but why is my safari opening everything up in a new window when I clicked open in new tab...Like 40 times.

Hold down the command key when clicking on the links

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.