Router question - can I use router with just one laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I apologise if this has already been answered, but my head is fried with Googling for information that I just can't seem to find.

Basically I have just had to buy a new router after my existing one packed it in. It was so long ago that I set up my first router that I can't remember how I did it. I want to connect wirelessly to my MBP, but the only other computer I have in the house is an old iMac G3 (yes, really) that I don't use, but that is just sort of sitting there looking pretty. However, the old router was always connected to that and I just used the wireless access on my notebook.

I wondered if I could just connect my cable modem to my router and still be able to use the wireless network without having the router directly connected to the computer? And if not, how do I connect the router to the iMac when the software CD requires OS X?

I don't want to have to leave my MBP on the desk where the router is, because I use it in lots of different rooms in the house. Any help much appreciated, going slightly insane here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can do that no problem BUT, you will need to connect the laptop via ethernet initially, just to allow you to set it up. This also applies if you ever need to change the wpa/wep key for example.
Once set up you just leave the router connected to the modem and you're away.
My iMac is fully wireless, as is my laptop. Never connect either to the router .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And if not, how do I connect the router to the iMac when the software CD requires OS X?

It is not entirely clear what you are referring to here.

Kevriano seems to have listed your goal.

Once set up you just leave the router connected to the modem and you're away.
My iMac is fully wireless, as is my laptop. Never connect either to the router

With your MBP wired to the router with an ethernet cable you are setting the config in the router using your browser. Once u have done that you then connect MBP wirelessly and leave the G3 on the ethernet cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.