ESATA Expresscard34

Reaction score
Im the proud owner of a piece of crap....

No not my macbook, I know you probably thought that - how could you!

but it happens to be an ESATA expresscard 34 with the famous SI3132 chipset.

I'm a relatively new mac user, Ive been a PC user for years and have to feel sorry for you guys here suffering with stuff like this. My requirement for using a macbook has nothing to do with the love of cooking my legs of, I love using Logic to record music. Thi is why I got a Mac and hence why I want to use ESATA.

Ive done the search and realised i've bought a bad choice.

I've tried leopard and recently went to snow leopard (£25 how can you not) but I cannot get it to work in EITHER of those. Ive tried all the suggestions for drivers but it seems like no support will come for this card.

Now if you know of any amazing way to get the card working please say. My issues involved slow speeds, poor write performance and usually it would just stop. In Snow Leopard it does something I believe you lot call a Kernal Panic, in windows something known as a blue screen would be the equivalent?

My main concern now is if this stupid card was a bad choice what do I buy? I hear story's about all the cards having issues. My Macbook was second hand so its not one of the new new ones its the Macbookpro 3,1.

I'm sure much has been said, problem is so much has been said at different times over the years from a google search im sorta lost as to what the current situation is.

Any of you lot got some good suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Drivers come for Windows only according to their web site if it is the RAID5. Also a note does not work with Snow Leopard:-

2 Port eSATA ExpressCard 34 and RAID 5/JBOD eSATA ExpressCard 34

You do not give your MBP model. If it has Firewire use that to an external HDD> Find with a Dual Core Firewire is still faster than an eSATA connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.