Using File Sharing to Back up my Mac

Reaction score
I finally got an external HD and backed up my iMac using Time Machine. I did this because I did a clean install of snow leopard.

I also want to back up my macbook prior to installing SL on there. However, I was informed that I can back up my Macbook through iMac using File Sharing. This will be better since I won't have to disconnect the exernal HD everytime I want to back up my macbook.

Can someone take me step by step on how to do this?

OP
M
Reaction score
I searched and searched and there seems to be an ignorance of this file sharing backup option. Hmmm. I wonder if this is even possible.

OP
M
Reaction score
What I mean is that it doesn't work. I know what to do, I'm looking for trouble shooting.

Its simple, go into file sharing, enable file sharing, choose shared folders and users....pick everyone and bingo, it should be working....

It doesn't....it keeps telling me that connection failed. This is on a Mac, the highly fabled Mac that is soppose to be the most intuitive machine out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.