Accessing Hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
The other day, while cleaning the garage, I spotted my last mac in the corner and a light went off.

This was an old Powermac that was the clear plastic case "greyish" desktop machine, I can't recall what iteration, but it wound up in the corner when the video card and driver became to expensive to fix/replace. I bought a new Imac. The thing is I don't think I pulled off all the files.

So here's my question: Can I take my laptop down there, plug in a Firewire connector to both machines, then start up the laptop first, and then start the old desktop machine and see its hard drive on the Laptop?

I'm trying to eliminate having to plug in a keyboard, or monitor on the old Desktop machine.

KKKKFL

Reaction score
Yes you do a firewire connect with the T key. You could always pull the drive and install it in an external box. Pack up that old bad boy and ship it to me..He.He.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I've been thinking of going the external box route since I now have two drives W/O any way to see what's on them... short story, the drive in my iMac stopped spinning, and I had Apple just slam a new one in. I had some of the S/W stored on an external, so that crash wasn't a total loss. They pulled the drive, and handed it to me. I thought about the S/W that was on the old Power Mac, but again, no way to retrieve, unless booting up and holding the "T" works to see the drive in the Power Mac, then I might slam in the iMac old drive and see if I can get it to spin...

What's the going price for one of those external boxes?

Thanks

KKKKFL

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Don't have Fry's but maybe a big box computer store like MicroCenter.

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.