Does`repairing Drive Repair Damaged File

Reaction score
HELP- I saved an Indesign file & all seemed fine. When I try to re-open the file I get 'cannot open file message'. No other file is giving me this error. I checked my hard disc and it says it needs repairs. QUESTION. Is it likely that the damage on the HD may be the cause of my erroneous Indesign file (506mb). And if so will repairing the HD also repair file. I only ask as I will need the Install discs to repair the HD and they are not easily accessible and I need access to the damaged file like yesterday.

Hope not too vague :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's a little vague, but I'm sure that's because of my perception, not your description. But, no, repairing the disc is not likely to repair that file.

You might try to find the Indesign plist file and move it to your Desktop. Then start up Indesign and try to open that file.

The plist file should be in your Home folder>Library>Preferences. Look for something like "com.Indesign.plist". I don't have Indesign, so I can't look to give you the exact file name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you actually have InDesign installed on your machine? It is a large and expensive application, about US$700.00 and without the application you will not be able to open the file.

If not, simply trash the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.