Powerbook screen problem

Reaction score
The screen on my husband's 17"powerbook G4 suddenly went on the fritz. It is covered in vertical, sometimes horizontal lines-and sometimes it fades back and forth. There is absolutely no sign of life on his screen, except we can turn the brightness up and down with the buttons, and we can shut it off just fine using the shut off button and enter, even though we can't see the dialog box.

I tried plugging in into my external monitor, and the cursor will show up there. Since he can't log in we can't open anything to see if it will work on the external monitor. But since the Mac desktop pattern and the cursor show up fine on the external monitor, I suspect the computer is OK except for the screen.

Any ideas of how to verify this or reset something? Or could there be a loose connection? (wishful thinking)

And is there some way to bypass the internal monitor and just use the external until we can get it fixed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.