what is a .plist file?

T

toneroc

Hello,

I have some files on my computer in my user/safari folder : bookmarks.plist, history.plist. I would like to know if anyone out there knows what these files are and how i can view them. I've tried stuffit, but to no avail.

I'd be very grateful for any info supplied.

Tone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
.plist files are the Mac version of preference files. Similar to .ini files on Windows. They contain the perferences for a particular program. For example the bookmarks.plist would contain your bookmarks.

Most of them are kept in Library/Preferences.

You can open them with TextEdit or if you've installed the developer tools you can use the plist editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Can they be deleted?
Yes, they'll regenerate at next boot or use of the application. That being said, it will require setting things up again as your customizations are gone . It's useful when having odd program or OS issues actually (such as a network interface that won't connect etc)

Reaction score
Yes, they'll regenerate at next boot or use of the application. That being said, it will require setting things up again as your customizations are gone . It's useful when having odd program or OS issues actually (such as a network interface that won't connect etc)

Thanks Dysfunction!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking after father in laws Apple iMac 27" All-In-One Desktop PC 2.8Ghz
There appears to be very little in the way of ticked, or filled boxes, in most of my plists. Can I just tick boxes that I think will, for example, re activate audio on my Mac?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Generally you need to tick the appropriate boxes from within the preference area of a program. Is that what you mean or are you referring to actually editing the ,plist file?

I suggest starting another thread and describing the audio problem you are having. That's probably the best way to troubleshoot it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I doubt that a plist file is to blame for inactive audio. Can you be more specific about your issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.