Problems installing snow leopard

Reaction score
I have a
13" macbook
2GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB Ram
49.55 GB Free
10.4.11 (everything up to date)

I Bought the snow leopard family box set so i can install snow leopard from tiger on all 3 of my macs. I tried installing on my macbook, when it asks to restart to begin install, i click the restart button, when it boots up the disk ejects (shortly after the start-up sound but before the apple logo or loading wheel. its currently installing on my G5.

please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
have you tried erasing the HD before installing (doing a clean install)?

OP
L
Reaction score
now i haven't changed anything and my macbook wont even recognize the disk and ejects it even if it is booted in tiger

EDIT: it recognizes cd and dvds fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Assuming you have an external back up of your system, you may want to try the following.

-insert disc and shut down immediately before it has a chance to spit it out
-then restart holding C until you see the spinning wheel
-click the language
-then once the installer comes up, choose utilities, disk utility in the menu bar
-select erase Macintosh HD, and then quit disk utility and proceed with installer

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since you say it's reading other DVD's in Tiger then the Optical drive is for sure a DVD drive. I wonder if you got yourself a defective 10.6 DVD? Look at the surface and see if you see any fingerprints or scratches.

Does the 10.6 Family Pack DVD read in your other 2 macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
This may sound like a stupid question, and I may have misunderstood your original post but - how are you installing Snow Leopard on a G5 system? it's for intel based Macs only...

Is the disc viewable / openable on your other systems? If it is, you could try getting a FW cable and setting the Macbook into target disc mode then use another one of your systems to do the install? Another option would be to use one of the Macs that can read the disc, to make an image of the DVD onto a usb key, then install from the USB key.

This article here is older, but should still help you out with firewire target mode:

Using FireWire Target Disk Mode to Install OS X on Macs without DVD Drives

and here's a current article on installing SL from a usb flash drive:

Install OS X Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
No, the G5 were Power Macs - the Mac Pro is the Intel Xeon line - so do you have the Mac Pro, or the G5 Powermac? Cases are similar, but names / designs are different :)

Reaction score
Old IMAC-flashing question mark-cannot install Snow- not enought memory-eject disc ?

:Confused:

-
I have an old desktop IMAC--flashing question mark--with gray background.

Only when I insert Snow Leopard will it attempt to load

will ask me language
and install

but, then reads no memory--restart or try backup

I'll eject disc and screen goes back to flashing question mark

only mouse and keyboard hooked up
HELP

(I do have Mac book pro. Can I use this to somehow restart. It has latest software installed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP if you have that Mac Pro it cannot be running Tiger. That model came with Snow Leopard early release andLion later. Tiger would not install on that 3.2GHz MacPro.

JOJO do not hijacks another's post but sounds like you a failed hard drive and/or optical drive.

Reaction score
I am sorry my MAC BOOK Pro currently uses the one beyond Snow Lep. Not understanding where the Lion came in. Anyway, I am new to this so forgive me. I did not hijack another's post. These were the problems I was having and questions I was asking. How do I hijack? I offended that would be accused of such.

THanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.