• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is it possible to put VLC files onto DVD-Rs and play them through my 360?

Reaction score
So I have my favorite show, totally complete series, as VLC files on my laptop. I also have a mondo-sized television in my room and I would like to watch them on it. I have Toast 10 Titanium and iDVD, and I was wondering if I can put those files onto blank DVD-Rs, which I have also. My DVD player is my Xbox 360, and I would like to know what format I need to make them so they work properly, and also if someone could tell me some easy steps as to how to make this a possibility? Thank you very much for your inputs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 250GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
You'll probly have to find some way to convert the files... I had one that converted VLC files for my PS3 and it worked great. Just google it.

OP
D-Rok
Reaction score
Yeah, but do you know what format works for Xbox 360? I'm not sure whether it's AVI or WMV. I have some of the episodes as .ogm, and some are .mkv, and I have been researching for a while but I'm not sure what kinds of programs are the most reliable for that stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
OP
D-Rok
Reaction score
I downloaded HandBrake, will look into that later. I didn't think it was possible to network a MacBook Pro to a 360 since the 360 is Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
windows/OSX/Linux/etc. is irrelevant - the 360 is acting as a media center extender, so as long there is a software package designed to emulate that functionality (or other streaming functionality supported by the 360) for your OS, then you can stream to it. That first link has links to 2 or 3 different packages that will allow you to stream your media to a 360.

Disclaimer: I own a 360, but I never use it as a media box beyond playing games - usually I either use my mac mini that's hooked into my entertainment system acting as a home theater mac, or my ps3 which I can stream to via the ps3 media server which has a version for Mac or PC (possibly linux too, but I'm not sure)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Cue the spammers in 3...2...1...

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.