OS 10.6.1 - Spaces & Safari Issue

Reaction score
Hey,

I use an old 2007 Macbook Pro that's just been reformatted and upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.1. I've spent today resetting all my system preferences and also finally decided to stick with Safari (previously used Firefox) - and I've run into two problems:

Spaces:
I enabled Spaces and set the hot key to F11 (disabled the default Expose F11 hotkey beforehand). When F11 is pressed, the error sound chimes (the dull thud sound). I tried setting it to F12, and I get the same error chime. Can't figure this one out.

Safari:
Under Preference > General> Open links from applications, my preference is set at opening a new tab in the current window. Safari seems to ignore this one preference and opens new links in a new window anyway. I've tried quitting/ restarting Safari but it still won't register.

After a reboot, I'm still running into these two issues. Can anyone help? :Oops: Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Safari:
Under Preference > General> Open links from applications, my preference is set at opening a new tab in the current window. Safari seems to ignore this one preference and opens new links in a new window anyway. I've tried quitting/ restarting Safari but it still won't register.

That's because those two things are not the same. The first one means that if you go to New Tab in the File menu (one way to do it) that new tab will open in the current Safari window. The second thing you describe, the setting in Preferences, is opening a link, not a tab. Links can be opened in its own window or in a tab in the current window. This setting has nothing to do with New Tabs. In this situation, a New Tab is a blank slate. It's when you want to open a Tab, and then click a bookmark or type in a URL to go to a different web page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What? No one can help with the Spaces question?

Actually, it's better to devote a thread to one topic. If you've got two unrelated questions, create two threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I know this is a long shot, but try pressing te F key along with Fn :D maybe you have it set this way? Other keys work? Just check if there isn't a colision with function keys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.