Internet bandwidth issue

Reaction score
hi guys,

One of the student/education network that I manage is basically spliced into 2subnets:

10.1.2.1 (Mac OS X Server with 120 iMacs)
10.1.1.1 (Windows Server 2003 with 45 Win XPPro w/stations)

ADSL2+ Internet connection gateway is via modem/router with both the above Servers doing DHCP/ActiveDirectory/Group Policies/Open Directory/DNS fwd etc. etc. for their respective client machines.
Despite using openDNS (OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet) for Internet filter, I'm still facing huge bandwidth usage from the students...average of ~6GB a day Mon-Fri.
Almost every month, the ISP throttles the speed mid-month due to usage
going over-quota.

I've tried (in a test environment) to completely disallow students access to Windows machines and found that there's not much difference in usage however when I completely disallow students using Macs, I see significant drop in Internet usage.
Although openDNS works as filter for both networks but am not sure if iTunes/streaming etc is being affected by filter hence students on iMacs are being able to spike Internet usage.
Are there any ways to find from Mac X Server how to address this issue? block iTunes? how?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
thnx,
Eddie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.