Buying an eMac 700MHz G4. What kind of performance can I expect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
I am looking at a 700MHz eMac that I can purchase for $60. I believe it is the baseline model, it comes with 512MB RAM, a 40Gig HD, and a 700MHz PowerPC G4 processor. I will be connecting it to the internet via Ethernet port at a 30Mbps connection. So here comes the big question: How will it perform?

I know it is almost 9 years old, but I am just buying it because I prefer macs to do some applications such as video editing. How will this handle iMovie '05 or something like that, and what about photoshop? I also would like to know whether or not I will have internet troubles due to a slow processor. I have two PCs one with a 2.4P4 and the other with a 2.4 Celeron, but I heard that the powerPC processors had more performance than the equivalent pentium processors. By about how much? I certainly do not expect it to outmatch the P4, but I am hoping it will come close to the Celeron, that thing is horribly slow.

I know it is impossible to compare processors running two different OS's, so when the G4 runs OS X Tiger will there be crappy performance or will it run smoothly? What are the G4's strong and weak points?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am looking at a 700MHz eMac that I can purchase for $60. I believe it is the baseline model, it comes with 512MB RAM, a 40Gig HD, and a 700MHz PowerPC G4 processor. I will be connecting it to the internet via Ethernet port at a 30Mbps connection. So here comes the big question: How will it perform?

I know it is almost 9 years old, but I am just buying it because I prefer macs to do some applications such as video editing. How will this handle iMovie '05 or something like that, and what about photoshop? I also would like to know whether or not I will have internet troubles due to a slow processor. I have two PCs one with a 2.4P4 and the other with a 2.4 Celeron, but I heard that the powerPC processors had more performance than the equivalent pentium processors. By about how much? I certainly do not expect it to outmatch the P4, but I am hoping it will come close to the Celeron, that thing is horribly slow.

I know it is impossible to compare processors running two different OS's, so when the G4 runs OS X Tiger will there be crappy performance or will it run smoothly? What are the G4's strong and weak points?

I have a 700mhz eMac and it's actually not too bad for the tasks that you mentioned. If you stick with software versions that are more contemporary to the computer (i.e. 2002-2005) you should probably be ok. Maybe even slightly newer versions of software would be ok...but I wouldn't try running the newest versions (that's if the eMac even has the system requirements for them)...because then the eMac might get "bogged" down.

I would run Mac OS 10.4.11.

Also, don't expect "stellar" internet video performance (such as You-Tube)...the 700mhz eMac just doesn't have the CPU & GPU for this.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
I have a 700mhz eMac and it's actually not too bad. For the tasks that you mentioned...if you stick with software versions that are more contemporary to the computer (i.e. 2002-2005) you should probably be ok. Maybe even slightly newer versions of software would be ok...but I wouldn't try running the newest versions (that's if the eMac even has the system requirements for them)...because then the eMac might get "bogged" down.

I would also run Mac OS 10.4.11.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Ok, isn't 10.4.11 the Tiger version? I do not know too much , but I know this particular one has 10.4 Tiger on it.

How about this software: Anime Studio Pro 6. It Requires simply "Mac OS X 10.4 or higher, PowerPC G4 or newer Processor." on windows it recommends and Intel Pentium 500MHz and XP or Vista. Will the eMac have any trouble with Youtube? I honestly do not know because the last time I used an eMac was before youtube even existed, and it was in school. and that is probably the most intensive thing I will ever do on the internet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, isn't 10.4.11 the Tiger version? I do not know too much , but I know this particular one has 10.4 Tiger on it.

How about this software: Anime Studio Pro 6. It Requires simply "Mac OS X 10.4 or higher, PowerPC G4 or newer Processor." on windows it recommends and Intel Pentium 500MHz and XP or Vista. Will the eMac have any trouble with Youtube? I honestly do not know because the last time I used an eMac was before youtube even existed, and it was in school. and that is probably the most intensive thing I will ever do on the internet.

Yes 10.4 is Tiger.

I must have edited my 1st response during your reply...but I mentioned that You-Tube performance wouldn't be that great.

As far as the application you mentioned (Anime Studio Pro 6) here are the system requirements I found...including that it needs a 500mhz CPU or better:

Anime Studio Debut - 2D Animation Software

So it would seem that the 700mhz eMac meets the requirements for this program.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the funds run to it, see if you can get your hands on a 1.42GHz model. Twice the processor speed, larger HDD capability and USB2 as standard and will Leopard very nicely.

Avoid the 1.25GHz model as these had capacitor problems.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the funds run to it, see if you can get your hands on a 1.42GHz model. Twice the processor speed, larger HDD capability and USB2 as standard and will Leopard very nicely.

I would like to get my hands on one of these as well for my collection!:)

On the inexpensive side of course!!!;)

- Nick

p.s. Definitely agree on no 1.25ghz models.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Avoid the 1.25GHz model as these had capacitor problems.

I am spending $60 on the eMac, how much would the 1.42GHz model cost? I have seen them run over $150 on ebay, but I am staying local, and as of right now, there is nothing but that emac and an 800Mhz imac G4 that some guy want $250 for (I estimated it was only worth half of that at the most, only 512 RAM and a 20GB drive). Oh, there is also a 1GHz iMac G4, but it is listed as best offer and I have no idea what it is worth (Anyone want to help me there?) I have only $120 to work with total, including purchasing a keyboard and mouse if needed.

And the youtube thing is fine, I will just use my PC for that.

EDIT: the guy with the 1GHz wants $225 for it, about $100 out of my price range, so I am trying to get him to trade for my desktop now. Is that really what it's worth or is this guy just trying to scam me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Just a note, I have a 1 GHz iMac G4 with 1 GB of RAM that is just about useless on YouTube or any other flash heavy site. These are old computers we are talking about which use the PowerPC processor, which was discontinued in Apple computers almost four years ago. They are now obsolete and I couldn't recommend one to anyone as anything besides a collector's item.

I recommend either buying a cheap PC or saving for an Intel Mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a note, I have a 1 GHz iMac G4 with 1 GB of RAM that is just about useless on YouTube or any other flash heavy site. These are old computers we are talking about which use the PowerPC processor, which was discontinued in Apple computers almost four years ago. They are now obsolete and I couldn't recommend one to anyone as anything besides a collector's item.

I recommend either buying a cheap PC or saving for an Intel Mac.

I'm not buying a cheap PC, I already have 2 of those. I was looking for a mac just to get a feel of the operating system, I am already saving up for a nice macbook pro, probably I will have about $2000 to work with by next year when I go to college. I just asked about youtube to get a general idea of the limitations. How does your iMac perform in programs like Garageband or iMovie? I would obviously use older versions of them. And does $225 sound about right for the imac?

Reaction score
If you do not mind waiting for utube to load...no big deal..it all comes down to your internet speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to talk you out of getting a Mac, I was just making sure you understood the limitations of the systems you are looking at.

I haven't used the G4 as my primary computer since probably 2004-05, and never used Garageband or iMovie. I'm sure if you stuck with older versions it would be OK, but don't expect it to handle HD video at all. $225 to me seems a bit high. I would think around $130 is more reasonable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do not mind waiting for utube to load...no big deal..it all comes down to your internet speed.

Actually it is more than just the speed of your internet. YouTube is very heavy on flash content, which requires a relatively fast processor. On a slower system, especially an older PowerPC system for which the code is not optimized, playback and simple browsing is very choppy and sometimes unwatchable.

Reaction score
I had a 1.25 GHZ model it did have a capacitor problem but apple fix it for free under a repair program replaced the whole logic board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a 1.25 GHZ model it did have a capacitor problem but apple fix it for free under a repair program replaced the whole logic board.

How many year's ago was that? I doubt Apple is still doing this...thus someone buying a 1.25ghz eMac today would not have much recourse if they should have a problem.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How many year's ago was that? I doubt Apple is still doing this...thus someone buying a 1.25ghz eMac today would not have much recourse if they should have a problem.

- Nick

If it has potential problems that were common, then I have no idea whether or not this one has already been serviced, but most likely they would have blown by now. I probably will steer clear of them just to be safe.

So is the emac worth $60?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it has potential problems that were common, then I have no idea whether or not this one has already been serviced, but most likely they would have blown by now. I probably will steer clear of them just to be safe.

So is the emac worth $60?

I think you may be confused. As mentioned earlier in this thread...this issue was only a problem with the 1.25ghz eMac. If you're looking at a 700mhz model, then no worries.

$60 dollars for a 700mhz eMac is in the right neighborhood. I've seen slower iMacs go for more.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
I'm posting this on an emac just like that one. (I found and restored this). It's an excellent computer which will run well with that amount of ram.
I would suggest buying an AirPort card, as its good to have this kind of computer without a long ethernet cable trailing it. You'll get the same performance, and the old airport card will run just as fast. 60 bucks is a little steep for a 700mhz emac though. Try to cut it down to 30.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
$60 dollars for a 700mhz eMac is in the right neighborhood. I've seen slower iMacs go for more.

Call me cheap, but $60 for a 2003-3 Emac is a ripoff, especially if it doesn't have an airport card.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm posting this on an emac just like that one. (I found and restored this). It's an excellent computer which will run well with that amount of ram.
I would suggest buying an AirPort card, as its good to have this kind of computer without a long ethernet cable trailing it. You'll get the same performance, and the old airport card will run just as fast. 60 bucks is a little steep for a 700mhz emac though. Try to cut it down to 30.

I have a usb router, will that not work?

Also, I listed a wanted ad for a mac, maybe I will find a better one in my price range.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.