DNS Issues - Open DNS works with Facebook - ISP DNS does not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.8 - 4 gigs - lots of programs - lots of media
Ok, so I think this problem spans wider than just Facebook but it's really the only site that is currently affected.

Basically I noticed it the first time I tried the OpenDNS @ 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Facebook loads when my DNS is set to those under my network preferences.

However, when I go back to the ISP DNS it won't load Facebook at all.

More so, I've tried to clear the DNS cache with dscacheutil -flushcache and no dice.

***?!?

This is frustrating for me because I use certain sites that OpenDNS will not load.

-Frustrated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What sites are you trying to access that you can't with OpenDNS? OpenDNS protects against known dangerous sites and phishing for your own protection. And you do know that you can configure OpenDNS, right?

I have been using OpenDNS instead of my provider's DNS (Verizon FIOS) and have no problems whatsoever.

I suggest going to the OpenDNS web site and read their support instructions and also how to configure it for best results.

Regards.

OP
David A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What sites are you trying to access that you can't with OpenDNS? OpenDNS protects against known dangerous sites and phishing for your own protection. And you do know that you can configure OpenDNS, right?

I have been using OpenDNS instead of my provider's DNS (Verizon FIOS) and have no problems whatsoever.

I suggest going to the OpenDNS web site and read their support instructions and also how to configure it for best results.

Regards.

Thanks for the info! I'm not wanting to switch back to ISP DNS settings because I've found OpenDNS does everything I need it to and more. :)

I just wanted to know why this was happening to my machine and if anyone else had a similar experience?

Anyway, just upgraded to 10.6.1 and it has fixed the DNS problem and a few other issues I was having before. :D

OP
David A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Weird, just started happening again. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.