Macbook battery is dead!

Reaction score
Okay Ive had my 1st gen unibody Macbook for 8 months now and the battery was working great this morning but now it's not charging and I'm sure it's done for. I already tried to reset it or whatever it's called.

So my question is should I just call Apple up because it's not an Apple Store anywhere around here. And does it cost money to call them?

By the way I got my Macbook from Best Buy so I know I can't take it there.

Reaction score
Hi, read this, and maybe it'll help.

If it's a known problem like they say it is, then I don't think it matters where you bought it, (at least, in my country it doesn't) they'll still replace it under warranty.

And yes, it costs money to call them... what doesn't these days ;D

Good luck:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay Ive had my 1st gen unibody Macbook for 8 months now and the battery was working great this morning but now it's not charging and I'm sure it's done for. I already tried to reset it or whatever it's called. So my question is should I just call Apple up because it's not an Apple Store anywhere around here. And does it cost money to call them?

You can call Apple toll free at their service support phone numbers. However, if you did not purchase Apple care, your free support by phone expired after 90 days. If you have Apple care, you have phone support for 3 years.

By the way I got my Macbook from Best Buy so I know I can't take it there.

Why not? Best Buy is an authorized Apple service repair facility. They can replace the battery under warranty just as easily as Apple can. If the battery is in stock, they'll do it at the "GEEK" counter. If not in stock, you'll have to wait until it comes in.

Regards.

OP
DeShaunz
Reaction score
You can call Apple toll free at their service support phone numbers. However, if you did not purchase Apple care, your free support by phone expired after 90 days. If you have Apple care, you have phone support for 3 years.

Why not? Best Buy is an authorized Apple service repair facility. They can replace the battery under warranty just as easily as Apple can. If the battery is in stock, they'll do it at the "GEEK" counter. If not in stock, you'll have to wait until it comes in.

Regards.

Thanks! I just figured Best Buy just sold them.

OP
DeShaunz
Reaction score
Hi, read this, and maybe it'll help.

If it's a known problem like they say it is, then I don't think it matters where you bought it, (at least, in my country it doesn't) they'll still replace it under warranty.

And yes, it costs money to call them... what doesn't these days ;D

Good luck:)

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to call best buy.

OP
DeShaunz
Reaction score
Okay my battery is really weird it's charging now and the time remaining says 5 hours!! I think it has something to do with my display brightness. If I turn it up all the way my battery goes crazy. In coconut battery the mah jumped from 145 mah to 3860 mah.

So it's defective or something but now it's all good! I think I'm just going to order a new one online. I don't feel like sending it in...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.