New to mac, which Ram to buy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 17" 2.3 GHZ, 3 GB ram + 2 other MBP:s
Hi!
I got my macbook pro yesterday (the old version, not unibody) and I wanna upgrade my ram and I am not sure of which ram to buy. I know that i want 200 pin 667 mhz sodimm ram but can I buy any ram that meet these specs or do I need special apple ram?

Is it safe to install more ram on your own?

Any help appreciated!

/John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would recommend going to Crucial.com and using their memory advisor. I have bought several RAM upgrades over the years from Crucial and they have always done well.

BTW, if you check the manual for your new MBP, it will tell you the details of the memory you need. You can use this to double check what the crucial memory advisor recommends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Yea the main two sites I see advertised here is crucial (and I think thats because they have that scam that detects your exact memory you need) and also OWC because of the great prices they have.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okey so thats great thanx!
But just to be sure, can other memory be used or is this specific mac memory?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

It's not really "Mac specific" memory...just make sure the memory you do get is compatible with a Mac.

If you do buy memory from some place else other than recommended above...make sure you can return it if it doesn't work!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is no such thing as "specific Mac" memory.

So long as you get the spec you need, it should work.

Now, there are such things as bad sticks of RAM, so make sure that you can return the RAM if it doesn't work.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Another vote for macsales.com here...

Disclaimer: No affiliation, other than being a happy customer several times over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
in my experience, newegg.com has almost always been the cheapest place to buy computer hardware. They ship very quickly and have been great for many in the tech world.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thing is, I can find ram that fits the specs for less than 50% of the price at the places mentioned, here in Sweden. Thanx for all the info!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thing is, I can find ram that fits the specs for less than 50% of the price at the places mentioned, here in Sweden. Thanx for all the info!

That's EXACTLY what I was referring to in my post above! We can find less expensive ram here in the United States as well...except that when you install it into your computer it doesn't work!!!

Go ahead & purchase the 50% less expensive ram...maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I got that, but when the RAM is of the brand Crucial with the same specs (the exact same RAM) for 50% of the price, then I think I can be sure it will work...

Oh another question, is the mac reversibly compatible (or whatever you call it)? What I mean is, would it be able to handle 800 mhz ddr2 ram down clocked to 667 mhz? I guess no but it is interesting to discuss..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I got that, but when the RAM is of the brand Crucial with the same specs (the exact same RAM) for 50% of the price, then I think I can be sure it will work...

As far as the ram speed...it's probably best to just get what your computer needs (667 or 800). I have seen instances where folks have used 800mhz in a computer that needed 667mhz...and it worked fine...but no guarantees.

So stop talking...and start buying! Let us know if it works & how much you paid.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The companies mentioned are there because they have good reputations, and good return policies. Even if memory has the correct specifications, it may have errors that only become evident once it is tested thoroughly. Sometimes, they only become evident once the memory is actually installed in a computer and used for a few days.

When you buy from a reputable company, you're paying for the reputation, which is mostly the return/replacement/refund policy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I got my memory from OWC for less than 53 shipped! Very happy here!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so here is the result:
I bought
2 x 1 GB ddr3 macbook ram
1 x 2 GB ddr2 macbook ram
1 x 1GB ddr2 macbook ram
2 other ddr 1 gb ram stick
For a total of 30 USD inlc. shipping

Everything works perfect and I am so happy :D I guess I was lucky...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.