Wireless USB Adapter for iMac G3?

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good wireless usb adater for an iMac G3. Specs are as follows:

Slot-Loading
350 mhz
192 MB RAM
(2) 1.1 USB ports

In doing some research, I have narrowed it down to 2 adapters that look like they should work:

Edimax EW-7718Un 802.11n USB Adapter (Edimax nMax Wireless 802.11n USB 2.0/1.1 Ada... (EW-7718Un) at OWC)

Afterthemac Wireless USB Adapter (After the Mac Wireless USB Adapters)

Has anyone tried either of these adapters, or have an adapter that works?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The first product you linked seems to require USB 2.0...your computer has USB 1.1...so it may not wrk with your computer.

The 2nd product you linked (After The Mac) is a very very confusing product! All of the descriptive info just seems confusing. But the fact that it is compatible with wireless "n" would make me think you need USB 2.0 as well.

In either case...I would recommend contacting each seller of these products to make sure it will work with your computer.

Also...there were two versions of the iMac 350mhz released. One of them is capable of using an Airport card & one isn't. If you have the model that is Airport compatible, I would recommend using Airport.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And further to Nick's suggestion, have tried all sorts of USB adapters but can never get any of them to connect for more than a few seconds. If you got it go with the Airport card. Fingers crossed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've heard mixed results from folks that have tried USB based wireless adapters. Some say they work fine, some say they are slow (compared to Airport), and some say they are troublesome.

Airport still seems to be the best wireless option...if your computer is Airport compatible.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.