WD My Book Studio Edition Problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I just upgraded to Snow Leopard a few days ago, but was then away for a couple days and just found a big problem with my external hard drive. It's a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 500 GB drive. I have it connected via Firewire 400 to my iMac. I've owned the drive about 14 months.

Now to the problem: My computer won't recognize the drive, and the power button will not turn off the hard drive. I tried restarting, then disconnecting everything and reconnecting, next I connected via USB, checked it with my roommate's computer and nothing recognized it.

Some additional background: A couple months ago I was having issues where my computer would go to sleep, and then on restart I would get messages to the effect of improperly shutting down a peripheral, and the drive wouldn't be recognized. A quick restart of my external HD fixed it every time. But then that issue went away, and I don't think is related to this issue.

I also sent an e-mail to WD last night, and if I don't get anything worthwhile back from them, I'll probably call them tonight.

Thanks in advance!

-Nathan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.