• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does this annoy anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yes..this has always been an inaccuracy that I always sort of disliked.

Whenever I refer to "the other guys"...I try to say "Windows Computer" or "WinTel" machine...or actually use the manufacturer name such as Dell, IBM, HP, etc.

And I certainly wholeheartedly agree...that a Macintosh is a "PC" (personal computer).

- Nick

Yes, but you also have to admit, Apple is just as guilty, if not moreso in perpetuating the referring to the different systems as "Mac" or "PC".. Anyone who disagrees should watch Apples TV ads :) ( Apple - Get a Mac - Watch the TV Ads )

ps to Colonel Panic - yes, I 100% agree, and it seems I'm always sitting behind the ones doing it; their screens @ 100% brightness acting as an eye beacon, drawing your attention in the middle of an important scene (can't even count how many times I got distracted during X-Men Origins - I remember the offender was the most frequent texter I had seen at a movie both before and since).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think the most important thing when posting on here is to make your issues clear and understandable. Spelling and grammar are important, but if you mess up or are in a hurry and don't use correct spelling/grammar big deal! Just as long as everyone can understand what it is you're trying to say and there isn't any confusion. Seems some people on here put a little too much emphasis on acronyms, capitalization, spelling, grammar, etc. It's not the end of the world. And everyone should at least make an effort to use correct acronyms, spelling, etc. etc. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, but you also have to admit, Apple is just as guilty, if not moreso in perpetuating the referring to the different systems as "Mac" or "PC".

Of course Apple is guilty....and long before the "I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" commercials started.

But then again...I would NEVER suggest someone try to learn proper language or grammar from marketing or advertising campaigns.;)

Companies are always "making things up" when it comes to terms & slogans to help sell products.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, but you also have to admit, Apple is just as guilty, if not moreso in perpetuating the referring to the different systems as "Mac" or "PC"
I would agree... as I stated in my original post ;)
It is even more annoying when people are talking about a Windows machine and simply call it a "PC".
Even Apple's own advertising campaign promotes this mild, yet still inaccurate misnomer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I find it annoying when people put Macs in one group and refer to any other computer as a "PC".
Me too. (IAW not just what I quoted, but the whole post)

Apple say Disk, but then they are American :p:p
Yeah, and in American English, it is "Apple says Disk..." :p:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Spelling and grammar are important, but ... as long as everyone can understand what it is you're trying to say and there isn't any confusion.

Yeah, clarity is key. Even awkward phrasing such as "on here" instead of just "here" or "on this forum/site" is sometimes clear enough. ;)

And, even with the "Just" I edited out, that last phrase is a fragment. But, it's clear enough. I'm not obsessing, I'm just sayin'... like you said, it's important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course Apple is guilty....and long before the "I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" commercials started.

But then again...I would NEVER suggest someone try to learn proper language or grammar from marketing or advertising campaigns.;)

Companies are always "making things up" when it comes to terms & slogans to help sell products.

- Nick

Yes, and true, I also would not recommend learning from marketing - the unfortunate thing is - we are bombarded so much by marketing and the words used in marketing that even if we don't want to remember something, or think a certain way (Mac or PC, Empire Carpets phone number and method of doing business, Oxyclean and countless other commercials), it does creep into ones memory and potential word use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
it does creep into ones memory and potential word use.

Brain-washing & subliminal messages....watch-out!!!
smiley-devil10.gif

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hahahahaha, no, I'm not quite THAT paranoid :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Why they're called hard disks...

Here you go.. that's a US dollar bill (for those with no frame of reference they're exactly 6" long or 152mm.) It's about 3/32" thick of aluminum with a magnetic coating. These were interchangeable within their cartridges.

hdisk.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod

- Nick

I went to a conference were they handed out pens that said "I'm a PC!".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
like itouch rather than ipod touch...wth

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.