my 12" iBook G4 Modem

P

prasys

Hello guys,

I was wondering....

I dunno for some reson..If I dial-up the Internet from the iBOok (thank god...now on DSL)...The whole mac hangs..i can't do anything..all i get is "connecting...." , thats all...there is no dial-tone in the mac or whatsoever..if i press apple menu..boom the beachball..i am stucked...all i can do is reset by pressing ctrl+power or hold the power button..sometimes i get kernel panic

any suggestions..is it hardware/software related...btw , sometimes it can connect

on my mini and g3..it works fine...no weird problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If you're connecting through DSL you shouldn't be using your modem at all. You should be connecting through your ethernet port (next to the modem port). It's a totally different thing from dialup.

Can you describe your setup to us? I'm curious that this "sometimes" works.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is what I see. The modem port take a RJ11 plug, whereas the ethernet port takes a RJ45 plug.

Now I am guessing here, but it sound like to me you are using your modem to dial up. Even thou you may not be connected to the port.

From when I was using DSL you would put filters on all of your phone lines. Then connect your DSL modem to the a free phone line with out a filter. The you connect your computer to the DSL modem. The RJ11 cord will plug into the wall outlet and the DSL modem. The RJ45 will connect from the DSL modem to the computer. the other thing that just came to mine is that you maybe trying to connect using the RJ11 cord. The RJ11 plug will plug into a RJ45 port, but it will be va ery loose fit.

With all that said, please give us a description of your environment. That will help us better to assist you in resolving your problem.

OP
M

metsfan489

I believe he just said "thank god i'm on dsl" just to make a point that he doesn't have to use dial-up anymore. I'm not sure, but i think he was just trying to dial-up a connection to the internet.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
metsfan489 said:
I believe he just said "thank god i'm on dsl" just to make a point that he doesn't have to use dial-up anymore. I'm not sure, but i think he was just trying to dial-up a connection to the internet.

Looks like I miss read the question. Okay, never mine. lol :p

OP
I

iDVFH.

this problem happens to me also..it's from when i switch my connection (from dial-up to cable modem) after i'm done using my cable modem and plug my dial-up in it tries to connect but can't..i shut down my computer, wait 15 seconds then power back up..i think it messes up your IP or something..but i'm not exactly a mac expert so don;t take my word for it lol..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'm a bit confused on exactly what your saying, but here's an explanation of basic set up.

DSL (rman's setup above is exactly right)
DSL modem plugs into wall, Ethernet cord from Modem goes into ethernet modem on the computer. You have filters on all the other phone lines in the house.

Dial-Up
You have a cord from the phone jack to the modem on your computer.

To switch between them, you must open System Preferences, go to Network, and change your location. I have one location set up as "Dial-Up," another as "Ethernet," and another as "Airport." To switch between them, you must go in and set your "location" to whatever you want to use at that time.

If while I am on "ethernet" I try to connect to Dial-up. It will simply say connecting, and then never be able to connect. Depending on if it hooked into the wall or not, and if I have a number typed in or not, it may give me a pop up that says "There is no dial tone" or "there is no number entered." But overall, it has similar symptoms as to what you mentioned.

The thing that really confuses me is that it sometimes works for you. It has been my experience that Macs rarely act "random." Something must change to get a different result (in my experience). I think the key to this is figuring out what you do differently when it works, than when it doesn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.