Mail Delete then open next message

Reaction score
Ever since I got my mac on Leopard and now even since I upgraded to Snow, my emails when I delete them do not open up the next message. I have scanned the net for answers and all I can find is that it should default to opening the next message but mine does not. Can anyone assist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Do you have the message pane open in the same window but under the messages?
If not, drag the tiny dot, centre bottom of the window, up towards the messages.
S.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What he said - if you're reading your messages by opening them in a new window and then deleting the message in that window, it will not auto open the next message in a new window.

Reaction score
Goto next message after delete

in the terminal:
defaults write com.apple.mail IgnoreSortOrderWhenSelectingAfterDelete 1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo: 2.4Ghz: 4GB Memory)
I have had my Mac about 4 yrs now and never used the mail program. I was just trying to figure this out this morning. This is what I did. Open Mail program and click on Mail > Preferences > Select Viewing at the top > Select choose classic layout then take and drag the line that separates the email list and full email message view all the way up. Once you select the first email at the top and are done reading it just hit delete and it will automatically open the next email for you. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.