Apple Hardware Test

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac osx 10.5.8
I have been having problems with the computer freezing. The other night the only way I was able to start it up was to boot off the install disk. My brother being fairly savy with Macs helped me with this. Long story short, I uninstalled and reinstalled all of my non Mac programs. This happened three days ago. Everything seemed fine. Then tonight, same thing. My screen froze, and I shut it down. I couldn't access anything. I zapped the pram, and my user screen came on. When I tried to log in it froze again. Then it started just shutting off on it's own. Everytime I turn on the computer it shuts off. So then I tried holding down the shift key, then by accident, I held down the D key. I thought I remembered my brother doing this. Then the Apple Hardware Test screen came on, so I did the test. It said: A harware error is detected 4HD?11?40000004:SATA(0,0)

What does this mean and what do I do?

iMac Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the drive is failing. Can you pop in the Leopard install DVD, reboot from that by holding down 'C' after the chimes, go to Utilities and run Repair Disk and advise what is reported?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.