Apple Special Events video plays horribly on my MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
I didn't know which area to post this in, so I chose here because I think I may have some sort of software issue.

The video of the recent Apple special event with Steve Jobs that's posted on the Apple site does not play well on my MBP snow leopard. The video periodically quickly scrambles. The video also hesitates frequently, then catches up with the audio. This happens in 32 bit and 64 bit.

Is this my machine having problems or is anyone else experiencing this also? I don't think Apple would post a bad video; therefore, I'm trying to confirm it's my machine's software. Here is the link to the video:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/specialevent0909/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Are you watching the Low, Medium, High or HD version? how much bandwidth do you have? looking at the medium video, its bit rate varies from around 270kbps to up to 600kbps with an average around 280-340kbps, I could imagine if you've got slower dsl, or chose too high a version you might exceed your available bandwidth causing the video to pause... In terms of "scrambles" I could only imagine that happening if you're loosing packets in the data stream.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree with Nethfel that it sounds like a bandwidth issue. You might be better off choosing a lower quality version or better yet, download it from the iTunes Store. Search for "Apple Keynotes" and under Podcasts should be "Apple Keynotes". It's the first video entitled "Apple Special Event, September 2009" and it's free. I would link to it but I don't know if the link works across stores.

If you get it through the iTunes Store, you can download it and when it's done, you won't have to worry about streaming issues.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
Thanks!! I didn't think about download problem until you all mentioned it. Yes, the problems only occur with the HD version. I live where the fastest DSL is not available. I have to settle for less. This is what AT&T told me when I had DSL installed. I just tested the download speed and it's 1691 kbps (211.4 KB/sec transfer rate).

Thanks for the advice. I will download the video from iTunes. If the download plays smoothly then I will know it's not my computer.

I know how to test my DSL speed. But how do I know how much bandwidth I have? Or are they same thing?

UPDATE: I downloaded from iTunes and it plays smoothly. However, the download is not HD version.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
UPDATE: I downloaded from iTunes and it plays smoothly. However, the download is not HD version.
Do you really need an HD version of a video that is mostly just people talking and pictures from a Keynote slideshow? ;)

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you really need an HD version of a video that is mostly just people talking and pictures from a Keynote slideshow? ;)

HD looks better and I like anything that is better. That's why I own a Mac. That's why I married my wife, because she is better the rest.

I just wanted to be sure my machine was not having problems with HD. I just got a hold of some HD video and they play beautifully. Therefore, it's my DSL that causing the problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yeah, your machine has more then enough horsepower to play HD files, heck, my mini hooked into my 67" has enough horsepower to play HD files, so I know your MBP will have enough :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.