Completely dead iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Early 2006 (White) iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D,

Was running Saturday around noon, walked away, came back in a couple hours later and was dead. Long story short, smelled a burning odor from the vent, opened it up and found a burn mark on the yellow transformer on the power supply board.

Anyone else experience this problem? Did it affect any other components in the machine? I ordered a new power supply off the internet. Just curious if I should keep an eye out for anything else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whenever a component has been burned or appears burned on the power supply board, a short somewhere is suspect. Replacing the entire PS board is the correct thing to do. Hopefully, nothing else was damaged or caused the transformer on the original board to burn.

If you have a VOM and know how to use one, you can do some measurements on the old PS board when you remove it. A short will show up rather quickly.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
I don't have much experience with the 06 imacs, but if you can see definite burn/scorch marks on any equipment you should replace it. Also, replace the power cables and backup battery

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I hope anyone (not just myself) wouldn't think twice about replacing a component with burn/scorch marks. In this case, the power transformer marks were fairly small and easy to overlook.

To follow up, I replaced the power supply board and it worked. I did put a voltmeter on the old one to verify lack of 12 and 5 VDC, which was the case.
I let the machine "burn-in" for several hours and it's still running fine, used it for awhile to web surf, transfer files, etc... with no lockups.

A couple shots.

DSC_9338.JPG

DSC_9338%20-%20Copy.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back and including the pictures. Good job - hopefully your iMac has many more years of computing remaining.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.