A Mac almost sells itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have long since learned not to try to talk anyone into changing ____ (fill in the blank with OS's, hardware, word processors, etc). Especially since my income doesn't increase a nickel if they do switch. But if someone is interested, I am always happy to show off an alternative to that Bloatware OS company (I forget it's name, but it is from the Northwestern US, somewhere). In past years, assuming that the person expressing interest also had a desire to learn things technical, I always recommended Linux – solid, free, and runs on just about anything. In fact, I still recommend Linux if the person wants to hardware hack or really delve into the insides of an OS.

Of course, if I had run across a person who was tired of life and wanted a valid reason to do a final exit, I would have recommended Vista:)

But, for a person who just wants to USE an computer, a Mac is it's own salesperson. In fact, to date, all of the people (needing a replacement computer) who have come to view my IMac have either gone out and bought a Mac, sometimes the same day, or have said that it is in the queue when sufficient funds come in. Another interesting result is that some of these new converts wind up being holier than the choir and spout their own Mac recommendations to all and sundry, even though they have nowhere near the keyboard time to be legitimate.

One result that has happened more than once, is a wail from one or more of their WinFriends, usually accompanied by a slapping of the forehead, along the lines of “O No! Don't tell me you fell for that Its A Mac hokum. See if you can take it back and I can get you a real cheap system with a REAL OS, called Windows 7.” My usual advice is to let them bring it over for a side by side comparison. Hasn't happened yet as far as I know.

In our local Best Buy, the Macs are placed well away from the PCs with several isles of generic merchandise in between. Accidental or deliberate?

Konan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
Very nice.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
The Best Buy here has the Macs displayed very prominently at the front of the PC section, with a giant black wall w/ LCD TV and places for Mac Software on it. It's only separated from the regular laptops by one gondola of Mac accessories. You can see it from the front of the store when you first walk in, in fact.

As far as Macs selling themselves, it is true to a certain extent. People that think Windows is the ONLY way to go usually won't even look at the Macs, or will simply pass by making derogatory remarks about something they don't know the first thing about. But people that are willing to accept change will usually stop and look at the Macs on display and use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
I have been using a MAC now for 2 years and do not miss my PC's at all I still use Windows machines at work as does 98% of the world. However when I am working at home all my work gets done on a MAC. When I finally have to break down and get a replacement for my Powermac I will get a Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody, 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 250 HDD, Snow+windows 7
Srry but no offence but i would laugh at you if you would recommend vista to me, I am a windows fanboy (but not microsoft) and to me and probabbly 60% of the world vista is the worst windows microsoft has ever created. And i would actually compare windows 7 to OSX, windows 7 has so much added to it and rebuild from scratch, twicked performance that it could take the pain from OSX. Im running windows 7 on my MBP right now and windows 7 runs faster than OSX on its own hardware. Im not saying that because i love windows its because its actually true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Twicked? Did you use a Windows 7 dictionary?

:)

Reaction score
Even though Windows 7 might be out right now, I've still had way too many problems with that OS and won't switch back. People might tell me that it's so much better, but that was said of just about every previous version of it. It's burned me way too many times for me to just say "ok, here's my hard earned money, let's buy some waste of money programme with it".

To me switching to this power mac has had it's quirks and things that I said "well, I could do this in Windows, why not on this OS?" That's when I thought, well it's like a language in many ways. Certain words or phrases just don't either translate or even have the same expression meanings. Example; People in the US know "Cup 'O Joe", but in NZ you'll get a really strange look if you ask for a cup of coffee using that expression. You just get used to the changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
What I find interesting is the number of people that say they are Windows users who then use OS X and are impressed by it and persuaded to switch. In all of my years using Mac OS, I have had several experiences with Windows, and not once have I been impressed, and NEVER have I been tempted to switch by the OS. The hardware is tempting, if I were a hard core gamer in need of building my own machine with a ton of power to milk every last frame per second from my gear, but that's just not me anymore.

As somebody who has been using Mac OS since the early days... well, not EARLY days, but the late 80s/early 90s (albeit as a youngster) and never having looked back, I've had various experiences with Windows through the years. When I was younger and using OS 7-9 in the 90s, all of my friends were Windows and DOS users. I was always trying to convince them that Mac OS was the way to go. I think when OS X came out, that choice became more apparent. Not immediately, by any means, but when Panther came out, the loyal Mac user base was very impressed. That kind of laid the foundation for the switch campaign. Then the release of Tiger happened, and OS X became a formidable opponent. During the time of the development of Leopard, Microsoft was developing "Longhorn." Really, as with previous incarnations of Windows OSes, it was an attempt to completely rescript another Mac OS, but with its own APIs. Anyway, Vista/Longhorn was really reminiscent of OS X 10.2, Jaguar. It attempted to bring the OS into the 21st century, but was very limited as far as its features went, and was only really comparable to Jaguar. MS ended up being pressured heavily by the incredible list of features that were coming with Leopard and tried to cram a lot of stuff in at the last minute, which led to delayed release and decreased performance.

Anyway, the number of former Windows users that now use Mac OS is great. I had one friend when I was growing up who was a Mac Addict along with me. Now at least half of my contact list on Adium is running OS X in some variation or another. As somebody who has been using Mac OS forever, I've kind of become the go to guy for my friends if they have any problems with their hardware. They are usually amazed at how easy the solution is.

Anyway, I agree. Macs almost sell themselves, but I've never seen Windows sell a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody, 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 250 HDD, Snow+windows 7
Im not impressed with OSX to be honest, I got a MBP only because i love the style of it, its thin and light weight. If Microsoft has made computers themselves like apple does, maybe they would be equal but i hate the fact that there is so many companys that make PC's and its pretty annoying coz you"ll never get a good PC....and its going to be like that forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
We don't need another "Mac vs Windows", "Mac is better than Windows (or vice versa) because..." thread.

We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.