• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

quality loss from iMovie '06...

Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently gotten into video editing like a lot of people who ask questions on this board, and I am having a slight problem with quality loss when I export my iMovie project to iDVD. The project is about an hour long and the DV file is about 20 gig. It looks great in iMovie but when it is transfered to iDVD (TAKES FOREVER) it takes a big hit in quality. Could this be because it has to cram over 20 gig into less than 5? or could it be the file format iDVD converts it to or what? Any help would be great on the compression or anything else that could help me keep the quality at a DVD grade. If I need to use ffmpegx to compress to different format, I could do that too. Thanks for any help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
iDVD - under the Preference => project tab

what is you encoding set to Professional Quality / High Quality / Best Performance ?

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually it was set to best performance, it had me set it to that because it was too long and wouldnt fit the dvd I think.

OP
M
Reaction score
I guess Professional Quality would be the way to go huh? Is iDVD capable of burning to dual layer or is it impossible to encode to Professional with a long video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
How are you transferring your edited video to iDVD?

If your drive can burn a dual layer DVD, then iDVD can take advantage of that. Open "System Profiler" in the Utilities folder. Under the Hardware section, click on "Disk Burning" and look at "DVD-Write". If you can burn dual layer it will have DL somewhere in that line, if I recall right.

In the "Project Info" window of iDVD there is a "DVD Type" choice. If it is grayed out, you probably don't have a DL drive.

BTW, I figure a 20GB DV file to be about an hour & a half of video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.