Upgrading Lab to OS 10? OS10 Server, Remote Desktop, etc.

L

lokerd

Sorry if this is a FAQ...I saw a similar post but it was needing different info.

First, I know the 233 iMacs I have probably should not be getting OS10, but it seemed pretty necessary at first. But now I am not so sure.

Here is what I have: A G3 server, 15 iMacs, and 5 eMacs.

The eMacs came with OS 10, but also have OS 9. To continuity across the lab (didn't even want to TRY teaching HS students on two different systems! BTW, my students are not normal HS students...very few have computers at home...basically a low to very low income school), I have the 5 eMacs booting in OS10.

But a collegue of mine STRONGLY recommended OS10, and I generally agreed. But now I am not so certain...at least not in the middle of the year. The software and memory (to boost the iMacs up to 160mb) was supposed to be in already. So now I would be doing a mid-year upgrade. The students already have SUCH a challenge.

The memory and OS10 upgrades should be in next week. I also got OS10 server and Remote Desktop Management. I was thinking about waiting until Christmas to upgrade the system, but manageing the lab is killing me. I have Multiple Users running. And I cna use some limited usefulessness of Network Admin...but it will not work at ALL on the eMacs (extension incompatibilty if OS10 is on the drive at all...even if booted in OS9).

Questions though are:
1) I desparetly need to install other software...but have been waiting until the new memory came in, etc. Am I going to have to wipe the drives clean and start from schratch? I already spent MANY hours reformating 15 computers and installing software and configuring from scratch over the summer when I first returned to this teaching position. I know like on one of the eMacs I use...I occasionally boot to OS10 to try to get used to it...just a few minutes later...I am booting back in OS9 because NOTHING Is working...printers, software has to be dual installed, etc.

2) If I decide to wait until Christmas...or even until this next summer, can I at least upgrade to OS 10 server and manage the OS9 lab and manage those machines?

THanks for the time and your feedback!!!

Drew
Central HS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
1. I would reintall.. and check your specs on those computers.. some of them seem to be too old to run os X on them.. With ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) You'll be able to automate the installation of software on all the machines.. it has prebuilt commands that allow you to do this type of thing.

2. Yes OS 10 Server can manage OS 9 networks, Windows networks.. pretty much any networks.

What I would do is join the mac os x server mailing list from apple.. possibly any other mailing lists that you might think are pertinent also. It is a very concentrated mailing list that has many *nix gurus on it and could probably give you step by step directions on what you'll need to do.

Cheers!

OP
L

lokerd

Murlyn said:
1. I would reintall.. and check your specs on those computers.. some of them seem to be too old to run os X on them.. With ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) You'll be able to automate the installation of software on all the machines.. it has prebuilt commands that allow you to do this type of thing.

2. Yes OS 10 Server can manage OS 9 networks, Windows networks.. pretty much any networks.

It is a very concentrated mailing list that has many *nix gurus on it and could probably give you step by step directions on what you'll need to do.

Cheers!

WoW! What did I get my self into?!?! I sure hope I didn't just waste $1,750! The local Apple Delaer said that I would be able to upgrade the iMacs. THey took the firmware upgrade to get to 9.2.2. How can I tell if they will take 10.2?

When you say that I need to reinstall, are you saying that I will need to wipe the drive clean? So, in otherwords, I am wasting my time installing anything right now for the cameras that just came in this week? I am trying to get the students on the cameras as soon as possible. I would like to get all of the software installed....but will I be totally wasting my time to turn around and have the OS 10.2 arrive a week later.

Also, I just relized that I will have 15 computers at 10.2, but the 5 eMacs have just 10. Will I need to upgrade the 5 eMacs so they will also be the same for the student...or are the similar enough?

Ok, when you say I will need a support group for X Server, that I will need Unix...are you telling me that it is going to be difficult to set up? I mean...is it a LOT different from what I have AppleShare 6.1.2? Will I be able to import my users and groups?

BIG QUESTION: Should I cancel the order and just stick wtih 9.2.2? THe 5 eMacs are frustrating, because the system seems built for OS 10 (such that when you click on a word document, it says that it requires OS10...so I have to open Office for Mac 2001, then open the document)...but I could get around it. It concerns me that I will not be able to use SuperPaint...a program I start with each year. I have tried it out and it makes me boot up a Clasic desktop...then nothing works, such as the printers, because the AppleTalk Chooser doesn't work, etc. Maybe 9.2.2 is good enough. Just returning to Mac...I really don't know why I need 10.0 anyway. It seems WAY different than PC, where as 9.2.2 is fairly similar such that I have been able to use my PC laptop for some beginning instruction, and have talked about the similarities for those students with classes where they us PCs.

Thanks for the feedback!

Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok this is what I found:

Apple said:
Requirements:
*Power Mac G3 or G4, iMac, eMac, PowerBook G3 or G4, or iBook computer with 128MB of physical RAM.
*Mac OS X v10.2 supports all video cards shipped by Apple on Mac OS X-compatible systems. Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video cards: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti; Any AGP-based ATI RADEON card. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.
*QuickTime Pro functionality requires a QuickTime 6 Pro key. The QuickTime 5 Pro key will not work after this software is installed.
*DVD Player requires a DVD-ROM equipped Macintosh with built-in FireWire.
*Features or content provided by Sherlock may change or be discontinued at any time.
*The original PowerBook G3 and processor upgrade cards are not supported.

So it does look like you'll be able to run OS X as long as they fit that profile..

No you shouldnt have to wipe the drives clean.. but I would :) A fresh install is always better and almost always best. Especially when you are dealing with running a network.. the time you spent reinstalling everything is usually a whole lot less than the problems that "could" occur by just installing over the current os.. So in other words.. no you shouldnt have to reinstall.. and I should have made it clear that it was my opinion that I think you should.

10 and 10.2 are similar enough, although like any upgrade, well almost any :) There are changes and there will be things that you can do with one that you will not be able to do with the other, but very similar they are.

You will probably not "need" a support group, but I would recommend it.. there is so much help to be found, especially if you come across problems.. they are just a click away through email. I have setup two Xserves and I have had no problems whatsoever.. it was pretty intuitive, especially these later versions. Importing users and groups.. I don't know.. I started fresh so I havent had to do that.. so Im just not sure on that one.. I know there are decent amount of threads on the xserve mailing list that I belong to of people asking about importing users and groups, but Im not sure on the nature of those posts...

From personal experience 10 is WAY better than 9.. with a whole lot less headaches, a whole lot less problems, etc etc Overrall it's just a better experience. OS 9 does crash a lot like the PC's that I have used so I can see those similarities :) But other than that.. I think OS X is more PC like.. it has been a couple years since I used 9 though so maybe my memory is fading. If you really like 9 then stick with it, but OS X is the now of Macintosh and if your students end up using macs.. that is what they are going to be using.. They are going to have to learn it eventually so you might as well be the teacher that helps them down that path, regardless of the headaches. The headaches of upgrading will be worth it in the end for many reasons.. I would go for it.

I am not a teacher though and i manage a couple xserves in a corporate environment and the reason they even went for it is because they heard about the ease of use with the new OS X and how powerful it was, etc etc.. OS 9 is just not robust enough to handle many things.. OS X is.. and like I mentioned above if your students are going to use the mac in the future.. and your helping them with their future.. you need to give them the tools that they will be working with.. my 2 cents :)

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.