Trying to run Grand theft auto: San andres using Crossover

Reaction score
I tryed to run Grand theft auto: San andres on my iMac yesterday.

I read up about it due to the fact obv you can't run SA on mac due to it being a windows game. So I happen to come across 'Crossover' which for those who may not know is a tool which allows you to open .exe applications in a virtual window.

So I create a new 'bottle', then install GTA the installer ran perfecto, then it installed. After that I clicked finish. When I go to open the Grand theft auto the virtual window loads, then I get a message come up 'Please insert CD / DVD' which I know is in the superdrive.

I'm wondering if there is a certain setting for the virtual window to boot from a drive, as the superdrive doesn't make any movements when I open the game in virtual window, and if so where do I change this setting so it boots from the superdrive.

Thanks in advanced to anyone who has any ideas, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi!

Conveniently I use CX Mac (I have a CX Pro subscription, so I have Crossover and Crossover Games). One thing you'll want to become extremely familiar with is Crossovers Compatibility Database. It's a bit different then the compatibility database at winehq because CX's database includes specific builds for Mac.

Looking up GTA in the database you get this link:

Compatibility - View App - Grand Theft Auto - CodeWeavers

which shows that GTA is known to not work on Mac version of CX Games 8.0.0 (the current version).

there are some suggested things to try here:

Compatibility - Forum - Grand Theft Auto - CodeWeavers

Games that have certain types of copy protection schemes on their DVDs/CDs will not work on CX - it will probably never work until Apple allows a certain level of access to the CD/DVD drive (you'll have to search codeweavers site, they have explanations there) - to get those games to run you'd need some form of patch that some manufacturers make available after the game is considered EOL'd (like was done with Warcraft III, blizzard released a patch to no longer require the disc in the drive to run).

Also, so you know - issues specific with Crossover should really be handled in the codeweavers forums - not that you can't find an answer here, but it's usually easier to find an answer there as you know everyone there is using CX (plus, searching their forums may give you an answer to your issue before you ask :) ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello! Also, depending on the age of your mac (I assume it has an intel processor) you can dual boot using bootcamp (included with OS X 10.5 and up) and actually run Windows natively. It's not an emulation, but actually Windows and therefore, you can run games. Check it out: Apple - Support - Boot Camp
Let us know if you need help!

Trent out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.